Geneology

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM

I have been researching my family before all the information on the internet was available. I love it. I am now in contact with relatives I didn't know about. Some of the family names I am researching are: on my Dad's side - Goodrich, Langdon, DeWitt, Ruddell, Yetter, Shipman just to name a few. On my Mom's side (having a harder time with these) are: Lundahl, Clifford,Shafer (schaeffer, schafer, possibly other spellings). My ggrandfathers name is on the wall at Ellis Island.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm our Family Archivist I dearly love genealogy and am seriously addicted. I've traced my paternal blood to 1348, but can't get any further than that. Have some of the collateral lines. I have a paternal collateral to 948, through combining research with a waaaaaay distant cousin i found in England.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 AM

You should see if your local Mormon church has a genealogy library. They don't charge anything and are very helpful. You just take the information you have and they will help you look it up and show you how to find information. I went to the one near where I live and found more information than I thought I would ever find. You do not have to be a member of their church to use their library. In fact a Jewish lady was there the day I went. You have to call ahead to find out when they are open. They have Ancestry.com and you can use it there for free.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM

I love genealogy! Have been a member at Ancestry for years, altho just the US basic. Have some serious brick walls tho, they drive me batty! LOL

I subscribe to the notion that it's not true unless it's DOCUMENTED and proven....just because it's posted online doesn't make it true.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM

I would love to find some information regarding my father's family. What do you do when you find incorrect information on a geneology website? How do you go about getting it corrected?

Thanks,
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Opal Jane, I don't think it's worth the bother of trying to correct errors on on-line sites. There are too many of them! And more keep popping up. Sometimes, though, the site will have an area where you can post comments or there will be info on contacting the owner of the information. I have to admit that, a time or three, I have posted comments on something that was just way off the wall. I didn't see any corrections being made.

Just find what you can use and enjoy the hunt!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Opal Jane View Post
I would love to find some information regarding my father's family. What do you do when you find incorrect information on a geneology website? How do you go about getting it corrected?

Thanks,
Depends on the site. Someone had my ggm maried to her gs! So I talked to the site's facilitator, submitted documentation-copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses-and they fixed it.
So much that has been "done" was from old family tales, word of mouth, hearsay, gossip, that much is simply not true, you really need the documentation. I "knew" for years my 5th ggf was in the Donner party, found out just a short time ago it was his brother, and in the Martin company (another tragic emigrant company). Mary Queen of Scots had no children, so, no, she is not my nth ggm. (But Churchill is my 6th cousin, and I have the documents to prove it)
I've done family history since the '60's, its fascinating. I agree with others, find a LDS family history center for a great deal of help and information.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cosy View Post
Mary Queen of Scots had no children, so, no, she is not my nth ggm. (But Churchill is my 6th cousin, and I have the documents to prove it)
Um, Mary Queen of Scots had a son, James (who later became James 6th of Scotland and 1st of England) by her (2nd, 3rd? can't remember) husband Lord Darnley, so you might not want to dismiss that line just yet...
Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 AM

I bet you would be a good detective. I understand that genealogy can be a daunting en devour.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 AM

I am the person who has done the family history for our families. My husband is of Italian decent, and all records were destroyed in WWII. I can only go back as far as his great grandfather with a reconstructed birth certificate. My side is of Polish decent....I have put off writing for records as I am afraid I will be disappointed in the same way. As I am getting on in years, I had better get with it. I have Family Tree Program, that I made a back up onto disc. Someone told me these do not last very long. I think I heard 15 years. I try to make hard copies and I have kept notes. A neice on my side is going to take over for me, so that information is not lost. It was all consuming for a while, and I had to back off. I am trying to get motivated as I have had several contacts in the last couple of month and need to get back into the frey. I will need to find someone on the other side to give info to. I expect to give my kids a copy of all I have.