Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Name one thing that you don't like about the "New" Board". >

Name one thing that you don't like about the "New" Board".

Name one thing that you don't like about the "New" Board".

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM

I really hate to be negative because I'm usually a very positive person and look for the good things. But, I've now been on the QB, off and on, since the change over. Actually, I've spent hours trying to navigate, find what's new and improved and re-locate all my favorite haunts! This morning I spent about 2 hours just trying to read new topics and posts. Finally, I gave up trying to find the new topics with all the old topics mixed in. I figured my frustration would end as I learn to navigate but not so. I've located the VSMS and can get to it pretty quickly. I've found the For Sale and the Thrift Store categories but can't figure how why there are 2 of them. If I lose my place, I can't figure out how to get back where I came from (yes, I know this sentence isn't grammatically correct LOL) and I usually use the backspace in my browser which means going back 3 or 4 pages.

I LOVED the old QB. Many days I don't feel well and I would browse the QB while resting. Now it only adds to my stress. I really really miss the old QB. I'm not computer illiterate and have been using computers for many years. But right now, I'm just choosing to go to the VSMS categories and stay up to date there. I really miss my new friends whom I have met and the great inspiration I've received. I really don't want to lose contact with them but it's just too frustrating.

Right now, as I type this Quick Reply, the screen keeps jumping back to the top of the Quick Reply. I have to keep scrolling down to continue my post.

I'm viewing the QB on 2 different computers, one with Windows XP with IE and one with Windows 7 with Firefox so I know the issues can't be browser errors.

I don't think Patrice or our other great mods are responsible in any way. Sometimes the Boss just says "we're going to do this" and that is the way it is. BUT, as VP of a company before I had to retire, I would probably make the decision to backtrack a little and gradually make the changes. This all or nothing just doesn't seem to satisfy the end users! JMHO
Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
From what I've seen you go to the top (thread tools) and subscribe block click on that...then you are taken to another page where you have a choice to put the topic into your subscribe folder or bookmark folder...what the diff is I have no clue....Just like I can't figure out why they have two spots to sell Yard Sales and For Sale...Anyway...click on either Subscribe or Bookmark...In order to then find those folders you have to go into your Profile...they are on the left hand side...So many steps....Not allot of time
hobbykat, I like your "so many steps...Not a lot of time"! I kinda think that sums the change up nicely!!

Someone above asked didn't we all have problems navigating the old format? Not really for me. As a matter of fact, within just a little bit, I was zipping around. I still had a few things to "find" but nothing like now and there was always some great person who knew and would give you a simple answer. Actually, the topics made common sense and we didn't have to literally "write down" the multiple steps it took to get somewhere.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM

I liked how you could go from one section the other via the navigation bar at the bottom of the page, on the old board.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
hobbykat, I like your "so many steps...Not a lot of time"! I kinda think that sums the change up nicely!!

Someone above asked didn't we all have problems navigating the old format? Not really for me. As a matter of fact, within just a little bit, I was zipping around. I still had a few things to "find" but nothing like now and there was always some great person who knew and would give you a simple answer. Actually, the topics made common sense and we didn't have to literally "write down" the multiple steps it took to get somewhere.
That's it exactly! I have no trouble navigating the re-do actually, I just find it a huge waste of keystrokes to get from point A to point B. I've had computers since my first TRS-80 more than 30 years ago, so there's not much I haven't seen...until now.

Pictures are massive sizes and won't load smoothly and now we learn you can put 30 images all in the same post. That's really going to freeze my browser big time. Not being able to view pictures here is a major disadvantage...kind of like watching a quilt show on the radio. At least it's not limited to just the thumbnails as it was during testing, but a compromise would be nice.

Threads are moved and merged without regard to the effect that has on the conversations that are being inturrupted. You dare not answer a question without quoting it in your reply and the person who had their question thrown into the middle of an existing discussion winds up looking both rude and stupid through no fault of their own.

Some sections are locked in an oldest reply first format (not threads, but whole sections). No, it's not just me seeing that happen and it's not my settings. You have to go to the last page to read the newest posts. That's unacceptable, imo.

As I see it, it's the basic design that is the problem, not all the embellishments. Seems like it would have been smarter to get the basic structure squared up and solid before they started sewing on all the buttons, beads and bling.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

EVERYTHING about it---------MOST unsatisfactory, am saddened that those i/c haven't listened and understood our woes; WHY CAN'T IT REVERT????????????????????
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM

I've basically given up. I work full time, volunteer during most of my downtime and simply do not have hours to sit around and figure out how to use the new board. I like the look, but it is most definitely NOT user friendly. The old board was straight forward...you just went to where you wanted to go. This one...not so much. I absolutely do not like the conversation interrupt and having to quote every time I reply. It will cut down on my involvement a lot.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Also can't figure out how to edit profile...anyone know?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I have a hard time finding anything. The format is harder for me. I'll give it a couple more weeks to see if I get use to the new format. If it doesn't get easier I'm gone.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I do not get as much from it as I did the old one. I do not enjoy being on it as much.
I agree with you. I have found I just don't take the time to try toread this. I have several days waiting to be read.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM

I realize that double posts frowned on, but I'm not about to go through 52 pages to enter my 2 bits.

This is probably not really clear, but the new format seems far too cold and commercial...I just don't get a nice warm "homey" feeling here...

I don't look forward to checking in anymore. Sorry...