Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric glue >

fabric glue

fabric glue

Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 PM

I use Elmer's on things like applique and binding. I've seen a video of Sharon Schamber using it with piecing too. She used it to glue the places where pieced sections go together so that they stay perfectly aligned when sewing, said she doesn't use pins. I haven't gone that far but if I ever do something that might need it I'll give it a try.

Using it for binding is fabulous!! No pins, no wrinkling, none of that twisting look. Hand sewing binding on the back without hassling with pins is even better.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

Roxanne's glue baste it is amazing!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 PM

the glue with the long nozzle is Roxanne's glue. Can be used like elmer's school glue but it seems to hold better and set up quicker and yet easy to wash out of fabric after sewn.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 AM

Good ole Elmers School Glue. Good tack and washes out.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 AM

I use Elmer's glue and you can buy the nozzle bottles quite easily. I think the one you buy in the nozzle bottle is called Aleen's but can't recommend it as I've never used it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 AM

For something temp I use school glue sticks.
MK
Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the information on using glue. I have been looking for the thin nozzles. I'll try Michael's as I am not having any luck finding them on the internet. Nancy's Notions no longer has them listed. I found the picture on the Folkart web site but couldn't figure out how to order them. I am so glad the question about glue was asked. Now, maybe, I'll finally get those nozzels.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Thanks for the information on using glue. I have been looking for the thin nozzles. I'll try Michael's as I am not having any luck finding them on the internet. Nancy's Notions no longer has them listed. I found the picture on the Folkart web site but couldn't figure out how to order them. I am so glad the question about glue was asked. Now, maybe, I'll finally get those nozzels.
I could not find them locally either, so I went to Michael's and started looking at all the paint type bottles. I found that the DecoArt Foam Paint bottles have a real fine point with a tight fitting snap on lid. It is a washable paint, so I just dumped the paint out, rinsed the bottle really well and filled it with the Elmer's School Glue. I've been using it for over a year now and it works great! The top fits so well the glue does not dry out.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM

I just use the school glue. Look for the nozzle at Michaels or Joanne's.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
Hey Kerry! Some of us use glue for holding the binding in place until it can be sewn. Some use glue instead of pins or other means of basting. I use glue sticks for my applique work instead of heat bond/wonder under. It doesn't leave the quilt stiff and you can move it around for a while until you get your pieces just right. I use your basic Elmers school glue. It washes out the first time with no problems. Doesn't stain your fabric.

Hope that answers your question
I do a lot of machine applique and use the Elmers which is great for the precuts from the machines or from Keepsake. I do not use the glue sticks. I want the edges to stick down without any fraying. There always seems to be some fraying with the glue sticks.