Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you quilt? >

Why do you quilt?

Why do you quilt?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM

My sewing started in high school and after that I started making clothes, married and made clothes for our two sons and my husband. Sewed very little when I worked. Retired and took a quilt class "Storm At Sea" quilt. How naive I was, because I thought that you could make a quilt in a day. I made it for one of our sons because he lives near the ocean. After dinner, I would go to my sewing room and worked on the paper-piecing. My husband asked me how long it would take me to finish the quilt, I told him I did not know. He replied if you were playing baseball, what inning are you in. I said that I was still in spring training. It took me from June to November to complete the quilt with the help of someone machine quilting it. I just came home from the Hershey quilt show, and I am inspired, but I will never be a creative quilter. I need patterns.

Barbara
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 PM

I have sewn since I was a small girl, first by hand, then the treadle machine, then the electric machine. I didn't quilt though until about 8 years ago. I had been watching Alex Anderson regularily for years. When my niece got married, I decided to make her a quilt that all her guests could sign. About a year later I did the same for her brother. Since early retirement and moving down to be near my sister, I got into it big time. I quilt to express my creative side (along with other craft/art hobbies), relieve stress, for the challenge, and to fill time when I am not busy. Mostly I make charity quilts, but I have made quilts for my 3 grandchildren and 2 each for my son and daughter, and one for my oldest friend. This is probably the most rewarding of all of my hobbies.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM

To keep from eating my young!

Seriously, I've been around quilters my whole life and loved to be with grandma who hand cut, pieced, and quilted all her quilts. All hers were scrapy quilts from all the sewers in the family. That meant us grandkids could spend lots of time looking for the fabric pieced in her quilts that was used in our clothes. I also love the social time with other quilters especially when I'm helping them tie their quilts.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM

Hi Chamby,How about putting some of your doll patterns on the site.Of course you have visiters --we are all calling in to you,even though the coffee and cake are virtual ! Love Letty
Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 AM

Sorry my repy should have been to weezie,love to all anyway,
Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Letty
Hi Chamby,How about putting some of your doll patterns on the site.Of course you have visiters --we are all calling in to you,even though the coffee and cake are virtual ! Love Letty
This is weezie. I did see your name correction. Thanks, Letty, for the kind words.

As for my doll patterns ... on site: you have to explain that to me in detail. What I don't know about using all the options on the Quilting Board would fill a big book. I'm not ready to get rid of the doll or doll clothes patterns. In fact I have a doll "in progress". She is having hair transplants (on a rather large head) and I got bored with it, so she remains half bald with no dimples yet (knees, hands, elbows, etc.) and is, of course, still naked. I have a yellow Sesame Street Big Bird dress for her ... patiently waiting for the doll to get finished.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM

It has been just about 25 years ago that I first took a quilting lesson, only to accompany my daughter who was making a quilt for my first grandchild and her first niece or nephew......and I have been at it ever since.

I began sewing around the age of 18 and made clothes for my girls and even one of my sons.........loved doing that until being introduced to quilting.....

and now there is no turning back.

Would rather go to a fabric shop than a designers' showcase.

Now that's what one can call having a "love for quilting"

MJ in NJ
Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 PM

Because, I can...it's as simple as that! Honestly, I love needlework but when I can handle and oogle fabric, I just feel at home. It suits me.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gramma Harley
To keep from eating my young!
ROTFPMSL

This is the best reason so far! lol

I'm with quiltwoman.... "because I can". The way my brain works I see patterns well, so quilts with geometric shapes and patterns within patterns have always appealed to me. I love the colours, the fabrics, the possibilities, everything! :-)
Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Eddie ~ I have really enjoyed everyone's responses!!

Why do I quilt? I have sewn since I was 8 years old. (not telling you how long that's been). Mostly clothing, a friends wedding dress, home decor etc. I have always had an interest in qulting but never acted upon that interest until 3 years ago. Our church women's group has always had a hand quilted quilt to raffel off at our church bazaar in November. This particular year as of Sepember we did not have a quilt. I mentioned to the President of the WOC, who happened to be my cousin, that I would piece a quilt together and tie it, but that I might need help with the binding. Well - - - she proceeded to tell me in a round-about way that there was no sense in me doing that because I didn't know what I was doing and the "older" ladies were not up to helping with the project. So - guess what I did :D :D I Pieced, tied and bound a queen size quilt without anyone's help.

SOOOOOO - Why do I quilt??? BECAUSE I CAN