Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Sewing Machine? >

Brother Sewing Machine?

Brother Sewing Machine?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM

I have the Brother xr7700 and love it. No regrets.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM

My DD bought me a borther cs6000 and it was junk!! I used it very little within 3 months and the tension goofed up so bad on it..I couldn't get it to sew to save my sole!! She got it off of eBay at a cheap price so couldn't return it...my repair guy said it wasn't worth the $79 he would charge to clean oil and adjust it...so I bought a Singer and have had good luck with it for about a year now.. I can't afford to buy an expensive one..I did have a brother that I bought at walmart several years ago and I was very pleased with it..it was one with the extended table which I really liked. It gave me years of good sewing for the $150 I paid for it new. So there are lemons in each group I would imagine...good luck crafty_linda_b
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have 2 brothers and used one for more than just sewing garments, quilts and constant use. But none outshine more than the 32 year old Kenmore I had that I paid 99.00 for and had to save for that !LOL (coupon monies !!)
I had heard rumor that they were made by someone else and the Kenmore name was put on them. IT died and then I bought the Brother. Now I have a Brother Embroidery machine and its wonderful !

Go to several different places (if you have them there) and ask what the sales person thinks is the best- or mill around and ask the customers in the shop. Look online at sites that rate the machines and see. Go to the sewing machine site and see what people have put as far as their yea's or nay's.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM

I have the Brother CS6000i. Fancy stitches, no embroidery. Nice for lightweight sewing, but throws a bobbin fit with even light lint buildup. I use my trusty 1976 Kenmore for medium to heavyweight sewing. Metal gears will outlast modern plastic sewing machines. Janome now owns Sears Kenmore. Don't know about the quality.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Keep in mind brother makes two lines, mass market and dealer. The quality of the mass market line is not the same as through dealers. The dealer machines are very good. The mass market, comparable to other mass market machines...good enough for many people, but will not stand up to heavy duty use.

That said with my recent purchase I went with a Bernina. I can use huge embroidery hoops. The brothers I looked at all limited me to small ones.