Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! Suzanne, I know what you mean. I really don't care anything about using the fabric libraries because I wonder if I could ever found the fabrics they show. And I don't want to go shopping for fabrics with some preconceived idea of what I want and then can't find it. That would like trying to plan a quilt at the fabric store. I rather go with some idea of what color I want then go from there.
If there is anyone who has been using the program for a while, I have a question. I'm trying to learn how I can add my own fabric stash pictures to the User Library. I don't know how to change a .jpg picture to .bmp that EQ requires. I tried using my embroidery software that does change the formats but it resized the picture to fit the embroidery hoop. That probably was about 1/32th the size of the fabric panel I was wanting to add to the block I was working on and didn't help at all. Does anyone know how I can change the format .jpg to bmp? Thanks, Chris
Chris did you ever figure out how to change from a jpg to a bmp or the other way around?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 PM

there is a post on here from Rhonda as of today and in Nov she's going to offer classes for this. I'm so excited since I have 7 and have done very little with it. Do a search and you'll find her; she's the one on here always doing things to make your life easier.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I just upgraded from EQ4 a few months ago so I am STILL trying to learn the new features. It certainly saves on time when you want to change a design size. I certainly would be interested in joining a group of EQ5 users. In these days, money is tight for some of us.
Joellyn
Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
I just upgraded from EQ4 a few months ago so I am STILL trying to learn the new features. It certainly saves on time when you want to change a design size. I certainly would be interested in joining a group of EQ5 users. In these days, money is tight for some of us.
Joellyn
Just let me know if you want to sign up!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 AM

I have EQ5 also. Been so busy trying tro get things caught up that I havn,t had the time to do much with it either.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook View Post
Chris,
I am finding that when I want to use a fabric I already have, I can go to the manufacturers website and MOST of them have pictures you can easily download and import into EQ.

As for converting to .bmp, if you google "how to convert from .jpg to .bmp" you will find some really easy programs like coolutils.com. You want to be careful, of course to not get into a bad program with malware, but that one worked fine for me.

To insert my embroidery designs, I use Embird and I can save them as a picture file that is unrelated to hoop size but I have to resize them in EQ to make it work. I don't know if that has changed between the versions but it's easy to do on EQ6.

Julie
deemail, EQ5. First let me say that i have no reason to want to upgrade right now, but i won't say that i never would. i bought at EQ3, upgraded to 4 and then 5, but over a long period of time.... and honestly, the upgrades are now more than i paid originally for the program and it does SO much, i just can't see a reason to upgrade when this one does everything i need it to.

Now the fabric libraries.... I do not require it to have EXACTLY the same fabric...i just look for something with the basic color balance in the fabrics i have pulled from my stash. A black background printed with rust, peach, yellow and cream with greenery will serve as a 'placekeeper' for my similar fabric while i select the other fabrics in the EQ libraries. then i play with those in the blocks, sashing or borders. If i have chosen several different blends or prints to go with the 'star' of the group, then there are lots of similar fabrics here and there in the different existing libraries. When i'm happy with the right tone and shade, i get out my paint samples and find the best one for each fabric and go shopping in my stash for my possibilities.

I do not rely on printed pix from EQ for 2 reasons. When I have the correct paint samples, they are portable to my stash or to the store, whichever is applicable. And second, what's on the screen is very true to what i am looking for, by design. I chose them from the screen, so they blend, match, complement, coordinate....it all goes together well because that's where i designed it. When you print, it will be close, but it will not be the same exact colors...and for me, color is what it's all about, close to the right yellow is not THE right yellow. Additionally, it is simply true that if you print your quilt today, then it will be one shade for each of the colors in the quilt, but if you print the same pic 2 weeks from now, your ink levels will be different, which makes the blends different and the resulting pic will not be the same...good representation for everything in the quilt EXCEPT the exact colors. So I am looking forward to learning how to scan some of my fabrics into EQ but for right now, a similar print is fine for the design process. I will try to take pix of both design screen and resulting top soon.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Have you checked on this board for instruction? Rhonda is doing instruction for EQ5 & EQ6 at present. The classes started on Monday 11/7 (this week) and I'm sure if you PM her you would be welcome to join. You can read the classes and do them at your own pace, and she is available for any questions you have.....I recommend......give it a try!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by seweasy View Post
Hi! Whoever put my post there, Thank You! I know very little about my software and could use some help but I don't know anyone who owns it to go to for help. Please if you own the software, post which version you have, are you having any trouble with it or are you good at setting up your quilt designs.
I have version 5. There are have been some family issues that have kept me from spending any time to learn how to use the software, so now there are no tutorials available and as I shared with Amma; I wasn't told to disappear because I hadn't upgraded but it was more like " what is wrong that you didn't want to upgrade". To be honest, I didn't know that there was a version 7 until recently!
This is what lead me to ask why and where could we have a section for the Eq questions. Please check the list often and if you can help please post. And if you learned something new, post about it. Never know who it might help!
hope all of you have seen Rhonda's EQ tutorials...lesson 1 started this week and is on the tutorial forum...new lessons will be on Mondays. Lesson 1 was a great beginning and i am looking forward to going beyond my 10 step EQ level that i reached years ago and then just stayed there....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 PM

I have EQ5 and love it, but if im not using it for a while i sometimes forget where thing are and have to click on the help to watch a video. it always sets me up to get it right.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 AM

Default Eq5

I hve used EQ 5 since it first came out. I began with the first EQ and upgraded each time until EQ5. The program initially was a bit pricey but the upgrades were always reasonably priced. I didn't upgrade to 6 because I was still learinging 5. The upgrade to EQ 7 was way beyond my budget and I am satisfied and then some with EQ5. I've had it for years and use it quite a bit for designing, testing out color, getting templates. I do not use it to calculate yardage because it is way off. I use the old stand-by, "Taking the Math Out of Patvhwork Quilting". It's much more accurate. I still don't draw with the curves very well with EQ5 but I haven't tried much either.

I do love the program. B e patient and just go slow. EQ will always have a special place in my heart. It was because I wanted the first EQ that I was willing to come within 10 feet of a computer. Without EQ I'd still be computer illiterate!
Jenny