Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM

I used to work at the Greyhound bus depot. This man used to come in accompanyed by a social worker and he also seemed like they had him very drugged up. One time he had a really, really runny nose. I handed him a tissue and said quietly that his nose needed a wipe. I swear he seemed to get better after that and did not seemed so heavily tranquilized when I saw him. So if you don't think that a small action can have a big benefit, then think again! I love this thread, thanks...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Our IT department at work is often "cursed" when the system goes bonkers. One day I noticed the IT guy in the drive through line behind me. I asked the clerk to let me pay for his meal and gave her a note to read...it simply said "It's be nice to your IT guy" day.

Later that day, he came over and told me it just made him smile because no one is usually nice to them. He has helped me out several times since then with little things when I've seen him ask others to hold on for awhile.

Another day at Subway (yes, I eat out a lot for lunch) I was running late for lunch so it was around 1:30. There was a Mom in there with 2 kids around 8 and 10. They were behind me in line so there was no rush of them picking out what they wanted. Well, I got my meal and was getting my drink when I heard the Mom say, oh no, she had left her wallet at home by the computer and they would have to come back for the sandwiches. Now it's late and I have heard them very politely talking about how much they were looking forward to the sandwich and they were hungry. They didn't make a fuss and they just sighed and said ok and all of them headed for their car.

They were parked next to me so I went up to the Mom while she was getting the kids into the car and handed her a $20. I also gave her my card and said if she was able to send it back, that would be great but not required. I explained I wanted her and the kids to have lunch now instead of in an hour (round trip had been discussed) because I was so impressed with how they had acted in line and also when they found out they had to wait longer for lunch. It was refreshing to not see a total meltdown from them.

In a few days, I got the nicest note from her and the $20 back. They were new to town and hadn't really felt welcomed but now realized they had moved to a town where people helped strangers and was looking forward to a good life in the area. I hope the other "locals" have also been nice.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 AM

Suzag said : "I've taught my kids (now in their 20's) to do that also. Of course, my son has a shaven head and tat's all over and it kind of scares some folks at first...LOL"

I understand abt people looking twice at bald heads and tats - my kid went to hs in the 90's and her friends were unconventional to say the least - the purple mohawks, orange crew cuts, etc. were some of the nicest, polite kids I ran into over the course of her 12 years in school. Good for you and your children for the good you do - I'm sure it is greatly appreciated by the those on the receiving end.

Last edited by Daisy144; 11-11-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Yes, spread a little kindness goes a loooooong way, anything you do for someone you will surley get blessed one way or other. well like this you cast your bread upon the water and it will come back to you.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 AM

that was a warm fuzzy feeling!! thanks for sharing that!!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 AM

oh I love your quote!! as for the story, I loved that one too! thanks for sharing
Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 AM

that reminds me of a story that It brought to mind. How beautiful ! thanks for sharing
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 AM

i guess we cou;d also call us angels in disguise!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 AM

Been there = done that.... Love it! Love the stories!

See THIS topic is what the QB is all about too. Inspiring us as human beings not only as quilters!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 AM

A few years ago I got a phone call from a friend of mine asking if I could put 2 people up for a night because their friends husband was in the hospital. I said yes and called the woman whose husband was in the hospital. Turns out her husband was in hospice and she was from out of town. There was no hospice in her little town. So we met the next AM and had breakfast. We had a nice time under the circumstances. So her friends were due to arrive that night around 10PM. Their flight was diverted due to weather and was coming in the next AM. It's a good thing their flight was diverted because when she would have been gone to the airport, her husband died. So she was able to be with him during his last breath. However after he died the hospice asked her to leave within an hour! She had no where to go....so she called me around 1100 pm and of course she could come to my home! Long story short we picked up her friends that morning, they all stayed overnight and left the next day. We all stay in contact, they are wonderful people. Now I am in the process of making a quilt out of her husbands shirts for her to wrap herself up in.