Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Betty J View Post
I am posting a few pictures of my applique on clothing that I made approximately 20 years ago.
Oh my! All of these are so nice, but that dress with the nasturtiums is just GORGEOUS! I love cut-work and how you have combined applique with cutwork is LOVELY!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Default Applique

Sorry this last picture didn't load.

This is the floor quilt and Nappy Bag I made for my first Grandson. almost 18 years ago.
I have also added a piture of an appliqued Christmas Stocking that was made approximately 25 years ago. The holly leaves are double sided and free standing. Rudolphs nose is also double sided. The other stockings in the picture are just strip quilted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilt & Bag.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	286198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Stockings.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	286199  

Last edited by Betty J; 11-11-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 AM

I've taught myself to do applique this past year and love it. I use different methods but the one I like to do is use templar and press the quarter inch seam over it with an iron. It seems to go fairly fast and since I'm still working I can get my projects moving along quickly. I was hand sewing but recently switched to machine sewing the appliques on using .004 Sew Art nylon thread and 60/2 thread in the bobbin with very small stitches. No, it does not feel rough coarse or pokey. You can't tell the difference between this and hand done. I also hybridize methods for the task, whatever is necessary to get it done. I'll post some pictures soon but right now got to get ready for work.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 AM

You can count me in, too. Applique is my first love in quilting. Since I have back problems and can't sit at the machine for more than 20 minutes at a time, I have learned to love needle turn hand applique. About 15 years ago I was privileged to take several series of applique classes from Nancy Pearson and have loved it ever since. I do not enjoy the quilting phase of quilt making, and I have no room for a long arm machine, so I call myself a quilt maker, and not a quilter.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 AM

I absolutely love to applique but only using heat n' bond light and then a finishing stitch on my sewing machine. I love to applique' on flour sack towels and knit t-shirts along with chenille and woven cottons too

I have a few items in my Etsy shop that show my appliques
Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 AM

I love to hand appliqué and look forward to learning tips and seeing your work.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM

I went to a quilt show last weekend in Rock Creek, BC, Canada and saw a 2-fabric applique pattern (which I didn't buy). It ate at me until I finally found the company on the internet and ordered the Butterfly pattern. The company is Pacific Rim Quilt Company in Snohomish, WA. Check it out - you'll be amazed. Can't wait until it gets here.

I definitely did not need another project, but you know how that goes. Currently working on Little Brown Bird. OK, now I gotta go quilt. Bye for now.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:26 AM

I love to applique. I have tried fusing but don't like it! It doesn't look like applique...it just looks like a piece "stuck" on there, which it is. It also doesn't "feel" good! I love making crazy quilts, so I do everything until I get to the appliques and keep saving squares, until I want to sit down and watch a movie or something, then I do the appliques. I think hand applique looks more finished. I do have problems with points!!....no matter how often I sit and have someone show me. I'll get it eventually! LOL
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
You can count me in, too. Applique is my first love in quilting. Since I have back problems and can't sit at the machine for more than 20 minutes at a time, I have learned to love needle turn hand applique. About 15 years ago I was privileged to take several series of applique classes from Nancy Pearson and have loved it ever since. I do not enjoy the quilting phase of quilt making, and I have no room for a long arm machine, so I call myself a quilt maker, and not a quilter.
I'm right with you!! I love 'making' quilts but do not enjoy the quilting process. I also wouldn't have room for a long arm machine, even if I could afford one. I have decided that the next ones I do I am going to take quilts to a long arm quilter I know and pay to have it done for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Default Applique Club

I took a short class, do some needle turn and freezer paper applique, love it but haven't done that much. A couple yrs ago did a log cabin scene wall hanging for my sis in law, haven't done anything since. I started out doing Ha. applique. Now that is fun.

Rita