Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >
  • Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

• Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:50 PM

What qualifies a featherweight machine.?? Is it the year it was made or that extra lip on it?
    Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingJaguar
    What qualifies a featherweight machine.?? Is it the year it was made or that extra lip on it?
    They only weigh 11 pounds.
    Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 AM

I bought a new featherweight in 1954 right after college. When my mother came to visit me (she was also a seamstress) she made the comment, "You will never be able to sew a coat on that. Take it back." So I did, and I regretted that for ages. When I was getting ready to move to SC in 1999, I contacted a lady in Anderson, SC who was advertising FWs in Quilters Newsletter, so I went to see her. She had a whole garage full of FWs, and had them all listed by serial number and year of manufacture, so I asked for a 1954 one, and that's what I got. Incidentally she has gone out of business. I don't use it much except for taking to classes, etc. but I do love it.
    Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 AM

I learned to sew on a Featherweight, so last year I decided I deserved one. Looked on Ebay but picked a seller on the internet. He was so helpful, I didn't want a case remembering it being as heavy as the machine so got a really beautiful "purring" 1952 black. I named her Shelley Ann (the name I would have given a girl child, but had two boys) and she has a beautiful lightweight red case for taking to class. In my weekly sewing group most have new fancy machines but two of us take our beautiful Featherweights. I have 2 viking machines that are wonderful but Shelley Ann does a much better straight stitch. I use a Viking ankle attachment and then my 1/4 inch foot works perfectly. Can't believe all the great memories of sewing a new Friday Dance Dress I would make every week in High School. I paid $300 but she came already cleaned and tuned.
    Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 AM

Default Featherweight

Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear
    I have 3 1948 singer Featherweighs. I purchased them all on E-Bay. They all run like a charm. The best machine I have found to piece quilts on. LOVE MY FEATHERWEIGHT!!

Tommie Ann
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM

I have 9 black featherweights and 1 green/white one. Love them all. I may sell one if I could figure out which one needs a new home, but they are all a happy family right now. All are a #9 to #10 except one which I would say is probably a #6 because the gold is wore, but it sews the best. Never had a problem with any of them.
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Ok we need a 301 / 301A site......long bed or standard......beige, moka,tan,two-tone,green or black.......with or without the table with cutout....with the great 'trapazoid' case...only 4 lb. more
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 AM

because in my birth year SINGER was making guns instead of sewing machines
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 AM

You and me both, thanks crafty bear. I live in Eastern Washington, north of I-90. I would certainly like to find one.
    Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 AM

I have one I bought at a yard sale many years ago . The lady was asking $20. for it.I paid the lady $40. for it because I had wanted one for many many years. My mother had one but I don't know what ever happened to hers.I think that they are a great little machine.I have all the attachments for her.