Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM

I love applique, do needle turn, find it relaxing. As some of you know, Baltimore Album is my favorite. I'm currently doing 24 lighthouses for my son & his wife, they want to make a drape for their family room from them.

I have done needle turn for over 40 years, have found that the needle is extremely important. I use a long fine sharp. Clipping, trimming seam allowance will help to have a smooth turn. Using the side off the needle to smooth the turned edge under will help to prevent fraying. I usually trim only about 1" in front of where I am working, trim to 1/8th or 1/16" and then turn. This will give you a smooth edge with no puckering. It does take practice, and I have found that the more you do the better one will get.

I love the portability of applique, I take something with me no matter where I go. I have little kits put together with, thimble, scissors, thread, etc. all ready to go.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 PM

I make quilts for a charity for kids. Most of my work is raw edge applique. Easy and lasts well. Use a little glue stick on the difficult areas like curves. It lays flat and looks nice. I'll post some of my quilts for you to see ( if I can figure out how to do it),
Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM

I do alot of applique' quilts. Love them.. I do them all by machine and usually do satin stitches or blanket stitches. Most of mine have sold before I ever got them finished. I am hoping to replace some of them one day....in my spare time....LOL,LOL Right now I have 2 entered into a local quilt show.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Almost all my quilts have applique on it, but because my RA I cant do it with my hands anymore so I use my machine.Dont if that still count. Ulla
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 PM

I would like very much to join this group .I like to applique it is so enjoyable. Mary
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM

I would also like to join a group. I do both needleturn and machine applique and it is one of my favorite quilting techniques.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 PM

I just started planning my first applique project and so glad I found this thread. I will be appliquing with my machine with heat bond for an adhesive. Can't wait to get started cutting my fabric. Love this thread. Just subscribed to it.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM

I love applique, enjoy very much doing machine applique, I use the blanket stitch and satin stitch. I like satin stitch better but use the blanket if I will be doing a big project and wanted to save some thread. I foudn that with the satin stich I go through thread like krazy. For the top stitching I use just cotton thread but I've experimenting with embroidery and comes up nice. I have also done hand applique and don't master it yet, specially the points. I have also tried reverse aplique, last I did was part of the AOTH. For all my machine applique I use fusible but end up with some stifness that I would like to avoid. Lately I am just using fusible on the edges and it is better. Once I took a class with Pat Sloan and she used tons of starch on the background and light fusible for the applique forms. The stitches come up very nice.
Have you seen the "Mola" quilts done by the Kunas? It is a very colorful reverse applique techinque. Delightfull.
thanks for sharing ideas
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30 View Post
I would love to do a block of the month with applique patterns. Any suggestions where to find some. I saw a pretty tulip pattern on here from a couple of years back in a Mccall's magazine. Never could find the actual pattern on their website though.
Not sure if anyone responded to you yet or not, but have you seen the Baltimore Album BOM on this board? Search "Baltimore Album." It started in February but all the patterns are still available and it's not too late start and catch up.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM

I love to hand applique and generally make pin cousins and pillows. I have a trunk full of them.I make mine all out of felted wool.I end up giving a lot of them away.I jjust finished making a lot of christmas ornaments for the christmas tree.Great fun to make handquilter