Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 AM

stefanib123, I just started making Erin's BOM. I'm learning her method and so far I really like it. I've tried needle turn and I liked that but I love the look of her method of using starch. I heard starch attracts bugs so I'm wondering if that happens when you dilute it as much as she does. I used Mary Ellen's last night as that is all I had. And, can you use Elmer's Glue...I read somewhere that you can rather than the more expenisve basting glue. Do you all wash your material before you use it. I know this was a controversial issue re quilting but wondered about applique. If you do....whooops....I didn't.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 AM

I just went to Susan Cranshaw's workshop yesterday on applique. You can see some of her designs at http://www.alderwoodquilts.com/shopp...ranshawDesigns.

It was SO amazing! She does raw edge applique too, but she showed us some tricks with the Steam a Seam 2 so that it doesn't make the quilt too stiff or get too much gunk on the needle. And she is a master thread painter and she showed us some of those techniques too.

Of course, I bought 3 of her patterns and am now dying to get my other projects done so I can do them!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM

I LOVE to applique!!!! When I went back to quilting after about 35 years away, I started with pieced quilting but soon realized this wasn't for me. I do needle turn applique and find it so relaxing. Right now I am doing the BOM Baltimore that Peg is offering on this quilt board. So far the blocks are really nice and I am enjoying it so much. In January, I am going to start a Friends of Baltimore quilt that I purchased from Quakertown quilts. It is so beautiful and I just can't wait to get started. I am trying to finish up a few other projects before I start on this.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:58 AM

I've dabbled in it but would like to become more accomplished with applique. Count me in.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM

I am so glad the Digest is back - not sure I would have found this great discussion on my own on the Board. When I retired last year, I thought "good, now I can learn quilting" - and as I am learning from some of you here, I am not alone in preferring the applique or embroidered (more picture) style of quilting. I just tried "Erin's" link posted above and was so intrigued I printed out a pattern to start and joined her Yahoo group. Glad this discussion is at hand and will continue enjoying the posts here. Thank you.

Marysewfun
Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM

I did my first applique apple with a leaf and my name on it,they say they moves it but to ware?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM

I love applique. I just finished taking my first class and I did a shadow box with fall leaves. I was really happy with all that I learned.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 AM

I made a few blocks with using applique. The instructions in the book were clear too. I will upload a few pics after I take some pics of them. They're sitting in a container waiting for me to do something with them. Like a ding dong I used a cut up sheet as the block, but I didn't know any better. Anyway, it was my first time and only time I've done applique. It truly wasn't that hard either. I was more intimidated about going around each area when I was using the satin stitch. You can see some areas where I was a little off. I'd love to get more tips, etc on applique. I think it would be neat to make my own design on each block or on a quilt
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Applique

Here's my applique. Don't look too close or you'll see all of the squigly satin stitches. hehehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	APPLIQUE 019.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	286778   Click image for larger version

Name:	APPLIQUE 018.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	725.0 KB
ID:	286779   Click image for larger version

Name:	APPLIQUE 017.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	286780   Click image for larger version

Name:	APPLIQUE 020.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	891.5 KB
ID:	286781  
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 AM

I love, love, love! applique. I do needleturn, have way too many projects going but am considering starting Baltimore Christmas, Friends of Baltimore and/or Little Brown Bird after Christmas. I've completed one Baltimore and am handquilting it (very slow process!) and have done some of my own designs. Current projects include My Tweets, a Lori Smith pattern and Eyta Sitar's Applique Affair as well as Aunt Millie's Garden, all in various states of completion. Not enough hours in the day and too many other things that change my focus!