Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingJaguar View Post
What qualifies a featherweight machine.?? Is it the year it was made or that extra lip on it?
The Singer models 221 and 222 are referred to as Featherweights.

Singer is making a modern machine that they have labeled as "Featherweights," but they are nothing like the vintage FW's that are all metal, half-size, straight-stitch machines.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Yes, I have one now. On the advice of Rev Pam on this board, I found one on a Buffalo, NY, Craigslist. It had had only the one owner, who could not use it anymore, due to ill health. It came in the case, with so many attachments, needles, instruction booklet and extra bobbins. It is in excellent condition, and I call it my little "Harley" for the sound. It is great! So far, I only use it to sew the ends of fabrics
before I wash them.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM

I have a wonderful one that has or I should say had a wonderful stitch until a bull in a china cabinet (not me) triped over the cord and took it to the floor, now the main piece is bent and the wheel wobbles like crazy. It will work but they tell me that the belts will wear out much quicker. Now I am sad
Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM

I have a featherweight, I got it off e-bay, about 6 months ago. I love the little guy.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Featherweight Club

I was fortunate to find one on Craig's List a couple of years ago. I paid $150 for it. The gentleman who sold it had inherited a sewing machine repair shop. It has a case (may not be original to that machine), several attachments, bobbins and a manual (also may not be original to that machine). It is in very good condition and sews well. Good luck, Craftybear. Keep looking; you will eventually find one. Sometimes, the antique mall at Edinburgh has one or two.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 PM

I have 5... 4 black, 1 beige, 4 work perfectly, 1 needs a bit of TLC... 1 was a family machine and if i had known i was gonna get it, i might not have bought any of the others.... except the beige....perfect condition...like new...could not have resisted it...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 AM

I have a Featherweight which I purchased some six years ago at the city wide garage sale in Austin, Texas. She is a jewel, and I would not take anything for her! She is wonderful for taking to sew "ins" at the guild meetings as well as taking on RV trips.

Last edited by DoxieFive; 11-13-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Default Love my Featherweight

I am very lucky to have a DH who is a vintage/antique machine collector. We currently have 7 Featherweights. My 1955 is Pristine and I have a 1950 that I use every day. It had several scratches on it but it sews beautifully. I do all my piecing and a lot of my free motion quilting on it. I just love it and think it is the best machine Singer ever made. We now have a total of 33 machines and the oldest one is a 1852 Grover and Baker treadle. I would choose an older machine over any of the new ones. I have a few new ones and they are fine, but are not built to last.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 AM

I have two! One was my grandmothers, and it is wonderful in addition to the sentimental value. The second one I purchased at an antique show. Spent way too much money but it was in pristine condition! I use that one to haul around with me so I can keep my grandmother's machine safely at home. Last year I made my mother a quilt after an extended illness as a welcome home present. I pieced the whole thing on grandmother's featherweight. That made it more special I believe.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 AM

I have two featherweights! One was my grandmothers and I love it dearly. The second one I purchased at an antique show. I paid too much for it but it was in pristine condition! I take that one when I go places to sew and keep grandmother's machine safely at home. I love them both. Good luck finding yours!