Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!) >

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM

When I was about 12! But I needed bi-focals at about 50. Luckily I got the ones without lines and don't even notice it.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Mine changed at EXACTLY 10:07 AM on Friday, February 13, 2004. I was not quite 44 years old.

That was when I had lasik surgery

Doc told me that when he fixed my distance vision I WOULD need reading glasses. Up until then I had to take my glasses off to read. So now I wear cheaters.

I'm still glad I had the lasik even though I still have to wear glasses part of the time. I can drive without glasses, I can buy cheap sun glasses, I don't have to swap from regular to sun glasses, I can see in the water when I swim, I can see the alarm clock first thing in the AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:29 PM

I was having problems even with bifocals. I just got HD lenses and they are amazing. no longer have to take off my glasses to read and can see everything. well worth the extra money
Old 11-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Bifocals came in my early 30's. Don't give me the ones with the lines--I hate them. I had cataract surgery about 10 years ago and I think this is the first time I need to change lenses. I'm almost 67.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM

I had glasses for nearsightedness from age 4. I got contacts at age 15. At age 29 I went to the doctor for the first time complaining of eye strain after reading a lot. Now, I usually wear contacts all the time, and then add reading glasses when I need them. One good thing is that since I've been using reading glasses, my nearsightedness has actually improved slightly. The doctor told me that it's because I have less eye strain, so my eyes have to do less adjustment between near and far sight.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 PM

I've worn glasses since 4th grade. Very near sighted and hard lens contacts were killer. once my prescription got so bad the dr. said I could wear soft lenses and toric ones I switched and I never wear glasses. About 5 years ago I started using the "cheater" glasses for reading. Dr. was able to correct my vision where I were one lens for far away and a toric one for close work. Works fantastic!! No cheaters and I can read highway signs about a mile away. No lasik for me- I would still need glasses as I have a bad astigmatism and very nearsighted.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM

I was in my thirties when I got my first pair of glasses for distance. I remember being astonished that you could actually see leaves on the trees. I've tried bifocals, both with lines and graduated. Couldn't stand them. Tried contacts for all of half an hour. Now I have one pair of glasses for distance and one for use with the computer. So far, knock on wood, I can read fine without glasses. But, I'm considering that Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass to read all the tiny labels.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM

I was 35 when I started using reading glasses with my contacts. I gave up on the contacts about 10 years ago and stuck with my bifocals...I LOVE them!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM

I've worn glasses since 7th grade and am pretty much blind without them. But right after my cancer scare (age 44), my left eye went really blurry and it couldn't be corrected with glasses. It's come back a little, but never returned to how it was. Now I have to pull items to within about 3 inches of my face to read something up close. It's terrible .. I'm starting to feel a little old when it comes to my eyes.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman View Post
I picked on my poor dh last year when he got bifocals and now, i am pushing my glasses up on my head to read. I find myself unable to do handwork longer than 5-10 minutes without a break. I know my eye dr. told me to expect changes but it seems like it's overnight...so...when did your vision change? and to what? and how do you like your bifocals if you have them?
I was 40....my opthalmologist told me he knew when people turned 40 cause they showed up
at his office for bifocals....I wear no line, progessive lens bifocals and love them...easier to see on computer then
regular bifocals...I worked in technical field was wearing tri focals and still having problems with
computers...switched to progressive lenses and problem solved