Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan... >

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 AM

my favorite part of Thanksgiving is the sweet potato casserole and cranberry sauce. This year we are going to the Masonic Lodge to help serve those who have no family in town a Thanksgiving meal. I believe we will have the family meal on Friday. I really dont't know what mom has planned if we will do turkey or ham this year.

I did sleep last night, didn't hit the bed until about 130 am but slept until 1030 am this morning. It was aa great night sleep. Today I am going to take it easy and as I feel up to it do a little bit of sewing on the toddler quilts I have to finish up. Not gonna rush just gonna take it slow.

Has anyone figured out how to post a pic that is smaller than what we have it stored on the computer. The site only allows 1.9 mb and mine that are stored on computer are 2.9 mb. I dont know what to do to change that.

I am in control and losing.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 AM

We ended up making 9 jars of pickles. They are really beautiful as you layer turnip slices with beet slices, then pour 1/3 full with purple beet juice, the rest with garlic/vinegar/salt/ water mixture. It makes a beautiful jar of red and white pickles. If they turn out correctly, they will be salty and vinegar-y. I had them at a middle eastern restaurant and then looked them up online. They are very popular with hummus dishes.

I will be quilting the rest of the day. Thanksgiving will be at my sil, she has a lovely large house and usually has 30-40 for the day. Her menu is Turkey, dressing, Mrs. Schubert's rolls, turnip greens, corn/hot pepper casserole, hash brown casserole, carrot souffle, pickles and mystery dips. Mama will bring the green beans and macaroni and cheese. Dorothy and her granddaughters will make some cookies and desserts.

I have been too ill the last two years to attend. I am hoping this year I can as my parents are elderly and this is one of three "family" events a year. The other two are Christmas and Easter, I have been house bound for over two years now and not traveled at all. Even though I see my parents when I travel to the doctors, I don't get to see the extended family but rarely.

This thread appears every month. Search for the title "current month 2011 Weight" and it will appear. We sign up between the last day of the month and the 3rd day of the current month for the FQ challenge part. You can always contribute to the conversation and weight loss tips.

Weight loss tip of the day. Start and end the day with a warm beverage. It will relax you and fill your stomach.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Our Thanksgiving dinner is very similar to Murphy1's. My cranberry salad has jello, canned cranberry sauce and raspberries. My favorite part is the stuffing. We made plans to celebrate the day after Tday at my daughter's apartment 3 hours away but that might not work out since my son is planning his trip back to Korea and that just could be that same day. My daughter and I have a tradition of doing all of our Christmas baking Thanksgiving weekend. This afternoon I am driving to the Twin Cities to watch my nephew's football team play at the Metrodome.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 PM

I have 19 confirmed guests, which is a nice number to deal with. The problem is the nerve damage in my back and foot, plus the neuropathy. Those are new this year - the old stuff I have learned to work around. I love cooking holiday meals and having a houseful here. Dinner is much like Murphy's, but I tend to add too much. I will need a ham and turkey both and at least two desserts, but two is enough. I am going make a list and stick to it. No "Oh, Dan would like -----, and Susan would like ___," etc. This is not their only meal of the year.

I have been working outside. Cleaning the gutters has to be the most despicable job out there. I have a wild cherry tree over that side and the cherries ferment and smell like a swamp, plus I'm a wimp on ladders. But it's done. Yay!

My weight was up a bit this morning, but I know mine flucuates and I've surely worked it off. I went to a quilt show today and won an hourly drawing. A 4 pack of good Christmas FQs. My other choices were blue/yellow and I don't do blue, pastel prints that were not good fabric or Civil War prints in a drab brown. I probably should have picked up the blue, but if my youngest DD wants a blue and yellow quilt next year, she can buy the fabric.

Wishing you all a happy. healthy day. I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:08 PM

I'm having a hard time this month. Last Tuesday I had a "lost weekend". I drank 4 cokes in one day. I wanted to eat everything in sight. I was even searching the trash for a pastry I'd thrown away (and it wasn't even that good). I'll get my act together but it sure can be difficult at times.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Joyce, the next time you throw food out, pour some dish detergent on it first. That should kill the desire to hunt it down. 4 Cokes??? What can you sub for at least three of those? Sparkling water with fruit juice concentrate? We've all been where you were at last Tuesday. I can only tell you that nothing tastes as good as being slim feels. Please come back and talk to us. It helps to be around people with a common goal, even if you can't see their faces. I'm tired right now so writing about a Coke makes me want one. Luckily, there are none in the house - haven't been since 1994.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM

I weighed in this morning. I was down 4.4 pounds!!! I worked hard this week for that. Lots of exercise and followed my weight watchers pretty close. That makes a total of 37.8 pounds. We just went to a birthday party that I knew would be a problem. It was roaring 20's theme. They always have really good food. I tried to fill up on the shrimp. I did ok, not good but ok. It could have been worse. Back on the elliptical tomorrow and back to eating right. Hope the scale news is good next week too. I would like to be down 50 pounds by Christmas.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Has anyone heard anything from Missy? It has been a while since I have seen a post from her. I hope all is alright with her and her brother.

Joyce - remember we are here for you to give you the encouragement and support you need. As IrishRose said, it doesn't taste as good as being slim feels.

Meanmom- congrats on your loss. Keep up the good work
Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Exclamation

Way to go, meanmom. You hard work is showing off.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 AM

Good for you...that's a great loss As usual, I have nothing to report....no gain/no loss. Guess no gain will have to be my good news LOL