Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!) >

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 PM

I agree with most; it was after the 40th; but don't feel badly about bifocals; I have trifocals.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Glasses for nearsightedness starting in 6th grade. Half a century later, after several years with cataracts, I had surgery and now my distance vision is 20/20. The incredible change in color intensity and detail that I can see because of that surgery never ceases to amaze me...some good - the stars are brighter and more plentiful, the sky is bluer, the lake glistens more...and some not so much - I had more gray hair and wrinkles and my house was way more dusty than the day before surgery! I use drug store readers for hand sewing, but not for reading...yet.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 AM

If you haven't started all ready then get on it immediately. I started using Omega 3 a year ago My eye sight has improved so much I don't need tri focals any more and rarely do I use my glasses to read. The eye doctor was amazed. You can get omega 3 pretty much any where. The heart doctors have been pushing it for years and now they have found it is great for eyes too. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 AM

40 and it was overnight. Couldn't understand what was wrong with the ATM machine! Love my progressives, but go for the wide angle ones. Otherwise it is like having tunnel vision!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 AM

I was 58 and yes its true overnight Hey your good at your guessing wtg
Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 AM

yep....the year I turned 40...mind you I never wore any type of glasses.
Went through four prescriptions in the first four years...call me trifocal tracy!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 AM

About 6 or 7 years ago, I was ordered bi-focals by my then eye doctor. I kept telling him distance is not a problem. He would not listen. Since moving and a new eye dr, finally, nothing wrong with distance. I could have kissed him. I have used readers the last 4 years
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 AM

I've been nearsighted for years, and wore corrective lenses, especially for driving. 6 years ago, I went to renew my license, and they told me I didn't need glasses to drive. Ok, but I still wore them, but I tended to not wear my glasses for routine things, and took them off for reading and other close work.

Last year, I again have the restriction on my drivers license, it says I need glasses. I now have mild bifocals to read, but still don't wear my glasses for general use.

I'm 53, so about 48 is when the changes started
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 AM

I find it's far easier to simply have one of the "reading glasses" from Costco to change to for computer work.
For sewing..regular glasses and I don't think of changing from the ones that live on my face all the time.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 PM

A few months before I turned 40, the optometrist said that I "could wear bifocals very nicely" and when I said I wasn't 40 yet, she said that was right around the corner! I have had progressive lenses since I was 40 and like them. As an organist/pianist, I now have the mid-vision glasses also-AKA organ glasses. At least I don't look like I will tip over backwards trying to read the music!! They also work very nicely for painting my toenails, using my sewing machine and cutting my husband's hair.