Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:34 AM

I have 2 that I won on ebay...I got so tired of being outbid and/or not being home and missing the end of the auctions that I decided to bid on 2 at once...as luck would have it, I won them both...one was in the same town where I live, so while I saved the shipping cost I had to pay 7% NJ sales tax which was more than the shipping!!! But, I love them both...Naomi
Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Bought mine off e-bay last winter, and I think of her as my crown jewel. Now I've got my girl-friend on the look-out too.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM

I didn't find out about Featherweights until about 3 years ago. I knew that my mom's old Singer was tucked away in a case in the back of a closet with all of its attachments, the instruction book etc.etc. but all I could remember is that I was not allowed to touch it as a child, it was absolutely HUGE, and it was the source of numerous Halloween and school play costumes. One day I decided to take the "fearsome beast" out and see if I could use it as a backup for my Bernina. I think my screams of delight could be heard on the other side of the world when I saw that it was a Featherweight!

I had it serviced (the repairman said it was in remarkably pristine condition even though it hadn't been out of the case in at least 30 years altho he replaced the power plug as a "precaution") and brought it home. BUT I kept hearing my mom's voice reminding her little girl to "never touch this machine" so I swear it took me a couple of hours of approach/avoidance to turn it on and start sewing with it (I was a very obedient child!).

When I looked the serial number up, I found that it was purchased in 1949 -- when I was 2 years old (no wonder I thought it looked huge!). Of all the beautiful things my mom left me, this is my most valued treasure. I smile every time I use it because I know that my mom's spirit is perched on my shoulder telling me that it's finally OK if I touch it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:53 AM

What a wonderful memory, you will remember your mom everytime you sew on your featherweight.
Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
I didn't find out about Featherweights until about 3 years ago. I knew that my mom's old Singer was tucked away in a case in the back of a closet with all of its attachments, the instruction book etc.etc. but all I could remember is that I was not allowed to touch it as a child, it was absolutely HUGE, and it was the source of numerous Halloween and school play costumes. One day I decided to take the "fearsome beast" out and see if I could use it as a backup for my Bernina. I think my screams of delight could be heard on the other side of the world when I saw that it was a Featherweight!

I had it serviced (the repairman said it was in remarkably pristine condition even though it hadn't been out of the case in at least 30 years altho he replaced the power plug as a "precaution") and brought it home. BUT I kept hearing my mom's voice reminding her little girl to "never touch this machine" so I swear it took me a couple of hours of approach/avoidance to turn it on and start sewing with it (I was a very obedient child!).

When I looked the serial number up, I found that it was purchased in 1949 -- when I was 2 years old (no wonder I thought it looked huge!). Of all the beautiful things my mom left me, this is my most valued treasure. I smile every time I use it because I know that my mom's spirit is perched on my shoulder telling me that it's finally OK if I touch it.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Does anybody in the Indianapolis area (or you can drive) need a Singer Featherweight or Singer 301 tune up/clean up? I am offering to do it for free so I can make a tutorial. PM if you are interested.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I have a 1938 Featherweight that my MIL gave me about 10 years ago, but I only just started using it in the last few months. I absolutely love it! Don't know if I'll ever piece on my new machine again! I just picked up a 1961 192K and will be dropping it off at the repair shop this week to get it back purring.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 AM

I bought little Gracie on Memorial day this year at a thrift store. I found her in the back storage room after I took a 'wrong turn' coming from the bathroom. $150. no bobbin case or any attatchments or case. You got a very good deal!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post
Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear
There are a couple of FWs listed on Craig's List (Indianapolis). They may be out of your price range, but maybe you can negotiate.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM

I have a 1951 feather weight but the little Plate in the front is Missing. You know the gold S on the front. I am thinking this is a centennial as it was made in the 50's. Can anyone tell me where I might get one?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 PM

My husband bought me a featherweight in the case with all of the original attachments and the table at an estate sale several years ago. It is in great condition and I love to use it, but I think I like to admire it even more. There's just something about them.

I have bought the quarter inch foot and the feed dog cover plate for it, but haven't purchased the specialty walking foot for it yet.

I have sold 2 other featherweights. One I sold a few weeks ago was a 1948 model in black. I had to replace the tension wire on it and overpaid for it. I found out later that I could have purchased it on Ebay for about a tenth of what I paid. Live and learn.