Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Cool applique

I do some applique but most of it is fusable wed type and machine blanket stitched. Have donesome hand work but not as good at it. Would love to learn more.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Thank you steady stiching. I was referring to hand applique. I have tried the sulky silk but it seems so fragile. Do you use two strands?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:31 PM

I agree Pat is the best. Wish she was feeling like getting back in the game. I do needle turn applique and am just starting another wall hanging. One of Suzanne Marshalls Wallhangings called A mid-summers Dream. Have finished most of Pat Campbells designs and also done some of Little Brown Bird. I too am anxious to see where this thread goes. Sally
Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I love hand applique! I am finishing a black quilt with multicolored blocks appliqued down. I have had the good fortune to study under Pat Campbell, Dixie McBride, and Mary Sorensen--all good teachers, but Pat Campbell was tops. If you have access to one of her books, you can learn to make those points sharp and clean. I'll keep watching here to see what develops. Crafty Bear, with 65 posts, you hit a nerve! Looks like lots of folks would like to learn how to applique better.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 PM

I tried posting something earlier today but don't think it worked. I'm new here (just before your change over) and am still learning my way around. I love love love applique. I do back basting and needle turn. I learned the freezer paper method but changed recently to back basting. I have done machine applique but can't say I am fond of it, but I haven't done that much. Under pictures I will try to post the Baltimore Bliss quilt I did from Cindy Rodenmeyer's free BOM a couple of years ago. I haven't learned how to post pictures yet.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:53 PM

I would enjoy joining this group.I am a newbie to quilting & am interesting in seeing the wide variety of quilting ideas.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM

My mind is coming up with an applique method I saw somewhere and I want to try it - it was called "reverse applique" that came across sounding as almost like a paper piece-type of idea - - meaning, you had your design on a paper or backing, lay a piece of fabric down like you do in paper piecing, stitch it, then trim around the stitch line and then go add your next piece. It was like 3-D applique (usual) only done upside down - has anyone done it - thoughts? I have it on my "to do" list to try it - - it just hasn't moved to my "to done" list yet. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM

I too try to do the back basting method. It works for mr for the most part, In still have a nhardntime with circles. My points are getting better but I have a ways to go. Since my chemo has killed my finger nerves my hand stitching is not as good but I still do it to prove I can try!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Count me in too. I love to do needleturn applique. Haven't done an applique project in almost a year, been making other things but it is time to start another project.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Angel

My first block, angel.
It is a off white, with golden sparkles on dress, wings are part of a pointsetta fabric,
It really need a better black for shoes it frays to easy. Would elmers glue help.
It is fabric and sewing only. I found lite iron on to stiff, and spray baste to stiff,
so I went fabric only, I like it soft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	soccer landon, halloween 046.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	287385  

Last edited by sherian; 11-13-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM

I have dabbled with hand and machine. Count me in! I can't think of better people to chit chat with!