Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 AM

I could give you numerous accounts of helping people but what sticks in my mind is the time we've been on the receiving end of such kindness. My DH had a back operation a couple of years ago and the day he was to come home from rehab it snowed so much I couldn't get my car out of the driveway. My neighbors came over and shoveled me out and then came to the door and said they would go pick him up in their 4 wheel drive and bring him home. Got him in the house and settled. They continued to keep my driveway clean all winter.
We were traveling in the south and stopped for lunch. An elderly couple came in behind and us and we were all standing at the counter looking over the menu when I heard her say they would have to split a meal because they didn't have much money. Of course DH turned to them and said we would love to buy their lunch and could they sit with us. We told them we were just passing through and loved to meet the locals. She said they too were just passing through going to a family situation with not much money for traveling. We had a nice meal and went on our way.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 AM

Since I've lived in New York, I see a lot of self-segregation based on skin color, ethnicity, religion, etc. (My heart breaks every time I hear someone use the phrase "my people") My husband's family, who's black has lived for years next to a Jewish family. While they always had been cordial to each other, there was always an emotional distance between them. One day, my DMIL noticed the Jewish husband outside with no coat in the middle of winter. He had taken the garbage out, and locked himself out of the house. She opened the door and told him he could wait in her house until his wife came home. He refused. Well, she pulled out her "Mom voice" and said, "I don't care if this isn't a Jewish house, you're coming in here to wait for your wife!" And he did. These two families have been dear friends ever since.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I loved reading all the stories, each bringing back memories of such times to me. For the lsat several years (5-6) my family has helped families with children at Christmas who need help by providing gifts and meals. The last 2 years, because of the economy, it has been to help military families who are in need of help to provided a holiday meal or Christmas gifts to their childern.

On the other hand I am vertically challenged, so often find myself not able to reach the top shelf in the grocery store and am very gracious when someone offers to reach it for me and I then find myself able to help someone shorter than I.

Pass It On is a wonderful normal way to live. Thanks again for all the awesome stories.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 AM

I love these stories! Makes me want to go out and spread the love for fellow humans as the need strikes! Also makes me wish I had more money to do things more often than a am able too. Sure makes a person feel good to pif.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM

NOT random acts of kindness, but a way of living. It used to be called graciousness.

Don't mean to sound snarky.

Last edited by Cosy; 11-13-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add explanation
Old 11-13-2011, 05:00 PM

Very beautiful stories! Glad to read all of them!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM

We used to have an elderly couple next door who were house bound. My 10 year old son would get their mail everyday for them and take it to them. I noticed it took longer each day for him to come home. He would sit down and talk with them and the woman made cookies for him. Their kids were grown and gone but several lived nearby. They loved to have kids to talk to and my son enjoyed them too. Some days, my son was the only other person they saw and he seemed to understand that they needed his visits. The man has since passed away and the woman is in a nursing home. We still visit and send cards. Thats what neighbors do.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Before husband and I were retired every year at Christmas we would go to the Salvation Army and get the names and sizes of two children (one girl and one boy) and dress them from head to toe including underwear and hats and mittens. We would always tuck away little toys in the pockets for them to find as little surprises. Unfortunately now being on fixed incomes we can no longer afford to do this but we still try to pick up a couple of games or toys and donate them. We also try to at least drop some coins into the kettles when we see them in front of the stores.
We also practice RAK every day. DH is 6 foot 4 and every time we are in a store if he sees someone trying to reach something on a top shelf he will always volunteer to get it for them. It doesn't cost anything to be polite and caring.

Last edited by SEVEN1384; 11-13-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM

The best flowers I ever bought went right into an elderly woman in front of me. She carefully carried around the store and then had them put them back. She (and I) cried when she got her wonderful yellow flowers.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM

I too do all these thigs. If I have extra and someone does not I do it for them. For me this gives me great satisfaction. If I kow of someone who is not able to make a meal and they are eligilble for the senior meals in town I call and order the meals for them and have them be told that someone has taken care of their donation. Then they find that getting a hot meal a day really helps them out whether they are able to donate or not they still are able to partake of this service. I have purchased things in the grocery store that I see a child wants and if I have coupons I give them to mom so she can save on her grocery bill. We are going to need all the people in this country to pull together to help each other out if we are to survive as a country. It is getting so much more expensive for young people with families coming on hard times to be able to survive. Some seem to have lots and I hope they will stay that way but there are lots who are not that fortunate.