Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding! machine or hand? >

binding! machine or hand?

binding! machine or hand?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by girliegirl View Post
what do you do? I machine it on the front and then hand stitch.... I can't get it to look nice any other way! Can you?
I'm with you! Can't seem to machine stitch it and make it look good...
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I usually machine sew to the back, then turn it to the front and do a machine topstitch close to the edge. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks using this technique, and I'm more confident that my quilts will hold up to lots of machine laundering that way. If it's "for show", I machine sew to the front, turn and hand ladder stitch to the back.
I do the same. Except for the last part, never done a show quilt.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 PM

Like most of the others who posted, I machine stitch the binding to the front, then fold to the back and hand stitch. It never seems like waste time as I can do it while watching TV, on trips and at appointments. I tried machine stitching for the front, and for me, it detracted from the looks of the quilt, so now I always hand stitch the back and have good results.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 AM

for children...I use double chanel style, match all raw edges, binding and quilt, together, sew on the top, fold over edge and then to the bottom with approx 1/8" overlapping the front stitch line. Then I do a stitch in the ditch from the front, thru where it catches the overlap. this is strong for kids.... for adults i do all the steps except the last, which i do by hand in an invisible blind stitch. I would do this for kids, but I really want them to be strong so they can be enjoyed on a daily basis.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 AM

That looks like the last one I did for my favorite uncle. I did not like it either so I will go back to my old way of doing it.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 AM

95% of the time, I machine sew the front and hand sew the back. I have tried machine sewing both sides and at first I didn't really care for it. But like everything else, you get better with practice. I find that if I machine sew the back, then it is easier to machine sew the front, but, I'm still not that fond of the look.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 AM

Machine stitch front and hand stitch back. I have never found machine stiching to look nice for me, wished it would! It would save a lot of time.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 AM

I like to do mine by hand. I think they look nicer and it's a welcome change. Hand stitching is nostalgic, quiet and relaxing to me. It also reminds me of my mother and makes me feel close to her. She hand pieced, hand quilted and hand bound every quilt she made and she made a LOT of them.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:43 AM

I do it the same way you do. I've tried machine stitching the entire thing and it just doesn't look good the way I do it.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 AM

Machine stitch front and hand stitch back. With so much thickness have never been able to get a good look otherwise.