Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM

A friend (who had breast cancer) came to visit me , i mention nothing about her illnes, spent the time piecing a wonky star block, chating about how to cut,put togather, ironing and loughing becouse i made BOSS to her.
It was the best time
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM

Lovely thread to start here Ireland Dragon, this is how I try and act every day. Sad thing is so many times my helpful hand is met with "no thank you". I think our society has become so jaded and frightened, its sad really. But we just need to keep on trying.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 AM

While walking my dog one day on a country road I looked down and saw a key ring sticking out of the dried mud on the road. I dug it up, saw it was a set of keys. Took it home and my husband said to throw it out as there was no identification on it. There was, however, a gym locker tag. I called the gym, gave them the locker number. They tracked down the owner of the locker, who said they were her keys. Shortly thereafter there was a knock at my door. It was a young woman and her mother. The keys belonged to the daughter. She was in tears as she explained that her father had died recently in an auto accident. Just before he died she had given him a St. Christopher medal. He had put it on his car keys. After his death she, in turn, had put it on hers as his remembrance to her to drive safely. She was devastated when she lost her keys and the medal. After she told me her story we both were in tears.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 AM

While at the Seattle airport waiting for my flight home I was in line to order lunch at Burger King. A young couple was in front of me and the young man was mad at her because they didn't have enough money for both of them for lunch. He stalked off and I handed the young lady a $20 bill. She didn't want to take it and I convinced her lunch was my treat She even offered me the change after she paid and I declined. Sometimes a very small gesture can make a big difference.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 AM

Last week I was driving through town and saw an elderly man in a motorized wheelchair having trouble getting up on the curb so I pulled over and helped him manuever his chair around the dirt and gravel.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
Of course, my son has a shaven head and tat's all over and it kind of scares some folks at first...LOL
One of my favorite quilt celebrities is Karen McTavish. She's a great quilter and a very interesting person. However, the first time you meet her, be prepared. She has very long dreadlocks and a lot of tats. She also rides motorcycles.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 AM

there is a beverage store near my home and there are several homeless people (men and women) that hang around or after collecting enough cans/bottles, redeem them for the 5 cents the state permits. i go there from time to time to purchase them their choice of alcohol. you might not agree with my gesture but during the cold months, this keeps them warm. i also give them my plastic water bottles for the select few that don't drink alcohol. they all recognize my pick up truck when i pull in and walk over to me. sometimes i wish i could provide a bed and a meal for them but i know i cannot.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 AM

I have to laugh when you mentioned letting someone go ahead of you in line at the grocery store when they had few items while I had a cart full....... I let a gentleman go ahead of me for that reason, then the next person to come up behind me only had one item, so I let them go also.....then lo and behold another person with one item came up and actually asked me if they could go ahead of me....so sigh, I said yes. I guess the checker that was supposed to be at the 10 items or less register called in sick so that line wasn't open (this was before self-check). All in all I let 7 people go before me. I guess they saw that I was letting those with few items go and kept coming to my lane. Finally I had to say no, that I had somewhere to go and couldn't let the whole store go in front of me. Then I felt bad for doing that so I left $5.00 with the cashier to apply to the person behind me's order. I have also paid for someone's order behind me in the Starbuck's drive thru line. And I specifically ask if I can help someone in those electric carts in the store if I can help reach something for them. Pay it forward....I always say.

Diane
Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM

I have always let those with only a few items go in front of me. I'm what I call vertically challenged (5') and you should see the funny looks I get from taller people when I ask if I can "borrow" them for a minute to reach things I can't If it's a man and woman they give each other funny looks as if to say "is she for real?''
Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I cook meals occasionally for my 72 yr old neighbor. She had 2 bad bouts with lung cancer and lost her husband and house less than a year ago. She is so lonely and depressed, I stop by a few times a week just to check up on her and cheer her up.