Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM

I like to give a little extra in my tips at restaurants during the holidays. Having had a son work in this industry while in college, I know it is appreciated. Most of those places don't give bonuses or even pay a wage.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:38 AM

Going into a shopping centre I noticed a man pushing his wife in a wheel chair and trying to push a shopping trolley too, he was surprised when I offered to push the trolley to his car. Two minutes of time is nothing to help some one in need.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM

When I was a child living in a small farming community my Dad took us to the city 50 miles from home to do some holiday shopping at the mall. He had given us each $20.00 to spend either for ourselves or for family members. I walked the outside mall and couldn't find anything that interested me so still had the money in my pocket as he collected us to leave to go home. There had been this dirty tired looking man sitting propped against a brick building in the sunshine and I had seen him there when I entered and he was still there in the same place when I got ready to leave. The fact that it was Christmas, cold and damp, and my heart told me that he had nowhere to go or family to be with brought me to tears. Right before Dad took us to the car I walked back and placed my Christmas money in his hand and said "Merry Christmas". Dad got angry with me when I got back in the car telling me he was an old drunk and would only spend it on booze, but got really quiet when I explained that I had a warm dry house to go home to and a warm meal waiting and had everything I already needed. That was at least 50 years ago and it still makes me feel warm inside when I think about it. That's really what it's all about.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 AM

At age 80 I have been the recipient of many kind acts when out in public. Those who were so thoughtful had no idea how much these acts cheered me, althought I never forget to say "Thanks" and smile. Such actions especially raise my spirits since I am the caregiver for an invalid husband!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Last time I was at JoAnn's, a week or so ago, I had about 15 fabrics to cut. (bowing head in shame). Person behind me had one, so I had her go ahead. I do it at Aldi's, too (discount grocery, typical for long lines of FULL carts). A couple of months ago, woman was buying TWO things, a big bag of rice, and another item for a hispanic meal, cheese or sauce or something. She didn't have enough, and was putting the rice back. I said, a person ought to be able to buy rice when they need it & handed over something like $1 or $2.

and another time...
I typically run pretty tight on budget, pay all bills, THEN buy gas & groc. It was a tight time...and had two sections of grocery items...and kept adding from the 2nd section to get to my max. Got to max & there was one item left ($3 gourmet cookies), I cheerfully put them back. Now, mind you, I am a BIG woman. Even tho I don't NEED those cookies, the man behind me bought them for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM

I just wanted to touch on the comments left by some about these are everyday things. GREAT! That is very awesome that these items you do everyday, now my challenge is to go above those 'everyday' things. The ideas I put in the first post were just suggestions. I have noticed a lot of beauitufl stories that have gone far above what I have done, so now I am challenging myself to do more within my means. One story I have is..

When I first got my job that I do extensive traveling for as a Safety Officer, I was headed down CO 13 between Meeker and Rifle. I came upon an accident, the pick up was rolled, and things thrown all over the road. A small white car was stopped so I thought perhaps drive on till I get a cell phone signal, but something didn't feel right. I turned back around on the icy road, as soon as I turned around the other car took off. I got out of my vehicle, the gentleman was laying on the snow covered ground, making panic noises, I grabbed every coat and piece of clothing I had in my vehicle and covered him, when another vehicle arrived, two men, one stayed with me the other went to a local ranch house to call for help. I noticed on the other side of his pick up was a dog, a cattle heeler laying in the snow. I went and covered the dog with a near by horse blanket that the dog probably used in the back of that truck. I went back and knealt down, and I talked to the guy, as I spoke to him he seemed to calm for a moment and then went right back. I actually yelled at him to reach him through his shock, it was so incredibly cold. I knew he was warming up, steam was coming out from beneath the coats that now were getting stacked up. then the gentleman asked if I would help him up... nope... he got up by himself, he seemed to be coming back a bit more, when the ambulance then showed up. When the medics were dealing with gentleman I went back to the dog, she was in a great deal of pain it showed in her poor eyes, but she also looked at me with something else. I stroked her head and talked to her, the medics seen me talking to the dog and I asssumed they were going to take her too. NOPE, they left her, just then the sheriff was heading back to his truck. I stopped him, I asked what about her and pointed to the dog, he stated he didn't realize she was there and headed back for her. I went and sat in my vehicle, now the realization of my standing out in negative degree weather with no coat was taking effect, the sheriff deputy with the dog all bundled up in his arms and the horse blanket stopped by my window. I reached out and patted her head again and she gently licked my hand. Your welcome I told her. The deputy said that if I would not of mentioned her to him she would of been left behind. Just wanted to share this story with you all too. I do not know if the dog was reunited back with her owner or not, but I do know that the dog was going to survive according to the local vet when I called to check on her later in the day.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Great stories! Just in time for the hollidays to remind us how lucky we all are! Always be kind to someone, because you don't know what they are battling.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM

DH used to commute into Philly on the train and always had some change for the homeless guys he passed. It was a rotten winter and one day he heard two of the guys talking: "Let's go!" "No man, I gotta get my coffee money." He gave them the change and they took off, so clearly he was the 'coffee money'. Years later he was back in town for a job interview and stopped at a small diner for lunch. He ordered, then heard shouting in the back: "He don't pay! That guy don't pay!" Turns out that it was the homeless guy who had waited for his coffee money; he was head cook and part owner of the restaurant, and he told DH that the small change had kept him going that winter until he found the job at the diner.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM

We had our 45 th high school reunion. One of classmates who is menally handicapped was asked if he was coming. He said no he didn't have the money. A stranger, who was listening, gave the money for his ticked and said to make sure he got there. He came and had a great time. Passing it forward has lots of rewards for all of us.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM

My DH and I were at a resturant and I saw three young people sitting by us. One said to the other we dont have enough $$ for you to eat. Waitress said they could not share food with her. I was paying our bill and told the gal there I was paying for her food. Then went over to the girl and told her I had paid for her meal, the only thing I ask was the next time she could do it,to do the same for someone else,Pay it forward