Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
New format, good or bad?  What do others think? >

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 AM

The question posed here is really akin to asking, "pre-washing fabric: good or bad?" or "jelly rolls and charm packs:
good or bad?". When the terms good and bad are used, people instinctively divide themselves.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 AM

You could save (copy & paste the url) your bookmarks in your blog (and make your blog private if you're only using it for this purpose). Then you can add notes to them, very much like the old "my pages" at the old board.

The new board is great for the most part, everything has room for improvement...hang in there!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:07 AM

I still feel the same way mymaremy....I still have not found my way around this site and I too am not as comfortable as the old one.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
"If the message is strung out so much that you have to scroll horizontally, then try 'control l' to shrink the screen. "

I tried this but it didn't change the size of the page, still have to scroll horizontally to read the message and see who wrote it. May in Jersey.
You should probably change the screen resolution size, which is done in the control panel if you have Windows. Since I don't know what operating system you have, I can't tell you specifically how. If you don't know how to do this, click on help on the start bar and it will lead you to help. If you need to, PM me and I'll try to help further. If this fixes your problem, please post that it did, so I can offer the solution to others. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 AM

Default I'll try again

I DO like some of the things on this board but my frustration level is NOT diminishing.
I posted an inqury yesterday and had to hunt to find it. Fair enough.
It was moved, fair enough, but to WHERE? I clicked on it and went to computer netherland.
Did a little reverse searching; what I had posted etc. and there were replies, but it wouldn't open.
It's like being in solitary. You know people are out there but they won't/can't talk to you.
MaryKatherine
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 AM

I'm also having some frustrations. On the old board, we were notified via email if a response had been made to an inquiry. Now, I never know. Also, I'm spending far too much time wading through topics NOT quilt related, such as tutorial, pictures, introductions, etc. I wish we could have a screen with JUST answers to quilting questions without having to "wade" through everything else. It's taking more time than I have. I'm sure I'm missing out on some good information!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 AM

I agree .... The new format is very confusing and topics seem repetitive. i simply do not have enough spare time to sit for hours in front of my computer, trying to sort it all out. I used to read this Quiting Message Board quite faithfully on a daily basis. Now? Not so much. But the funny thing is that even though I might skip a few days, deleting when I don't have time to deal with this, it seems like the very same topics are still listed several days later. I'm finding the new format very user unfriendly and will admit that perhaps some of the issue is that I am a bit technologically challenged. But that is precisely what I liked about the old format, that even I could navigate around easily and I really enjoyed everything about it. I'm not against change, but have always believed that if something is not broke, no need to fix it. What was "broke" with the old format? I've thought of switching over to another site, but I have been a member of this group since 2008 and really hate to break ties. I'm hanging in there in hopes that administration will really listen to those of us who are having difficulty and that some modifications will be made to improve the format as it is.
Originally Posted by mymaremy View Post
I signed up to be a member just as the big change was taking place...
the new format is confusing, and although I keep coming back every
day, it seems like the same topics show up several days in a row. By
the time I wade through all the ads and find a new topic I am defeated,
feel like I am missing a lot. The old format was so nice, easy and informal,
I can't help but wonder why somebody had to mess with it.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 AM

Me too. Thanks to Spartan Quilter, I can 'sort' the topics within a forum to see the newest topics first. But I miss the variety of topics I could see in "Unread Topics".
Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I still miss "Unread Topics". I am not being negative, just Honest!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:30 AM

You can still be notified via E-Mail.

Go to Settings (up by your name) Then on the left side of your screen find "General Settings". Scroll down until you see "Messaging and Notification". Here you can set your "Default thread subscription mode" to "Instantly, Using E-Mail". It's in the drop down box.

Let me know if you have trouble, and I'll try to write better directions.
Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm also having some frustrations. On the old board, we were notified via email if a response had been made to an inquiry. Now, I never know. Also, I'm spending far too much time wading through topics NOT quilt related, such as tutorial, pictures, introductions, etc. I wish we could have a screen with JUST answers to quilting questions without having to "wade" through everything else. It's taking more time than I have. I'm sure I'm missing out on some good information!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 AM

I changed my default setting to: "threaded, so I can see first to last message in order. No need to go to "last page" to see most recent.

Go to "Settings" at the very top of the home page, then to: My Account, General Settings on the left, and review or reset all your settings and how you want to view the forum.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 11-16-2011 at 05:43 AM.