Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving >

Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving

Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving

Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 AM

I have one for a corn caserole. It has a can of regular corn, a can of creamed corn, a cup or so of sour cream and a corn muffin top, all baked in a caserole dish. If anyone wants it, I'll look up the exact amount, but am sort of under the weather now.

Marcia
Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 AM

butternut squash carmelized with brown sugar in oven. I made for the first time and the entire family said WOW.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
We also have to have Red Velvet cake. My husband was born on Thanksgiving Day, so she got no dinner that year. We always celebrate on Thanksgiving even if it doesn't fall on that day. She always makes him a Red Velvet cake for his birthday. Required!
My husband was born on Thanksgiving Day also, in 1932. We always celebrate his birthday on Thanksgiving Day.

Three Thanksgiving Favorites:
My family is not big on candied sweet potato dishes but I have found a sweet potato recipe that starts with mashed sweet potatoes (not yams) , sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla and topped with a mixture of pecans, flour, and brown sugar, that they all love. It's custardy and almost like a desert.

I also make a simple bread dressing consisting of cubed bread, onions, celery, sage, salt, pepper and butter. It is our families favorite as it does not compete with the turkey, and topped with homemade turkey gravy is yummy. I roast approximately 23 lb fresh turkey stuffed with this dressing, and I make enough dressing to also fill a large casserole dish. I use my electric roaster to roast the turkey as it saves oven space and the turkey comes out very moist and never dry.

Homemade cranberry sauce.

Ofcourse there is much more that is prepared in the way of veggies, pies, etc -- but these are the favorites.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 AM

Red face I love this board!

Where else could go with a couple of mouse clicks and find so many family tested recipe ideas so quickly? I am tired of the same old stuff every year and DH and I will probably be alone......these are great ideas everyone!! Thank You!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM

Fresh cranberry & apple compote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Rutabaga

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
Am I the only one that thinks a proper Thanksgiving dinner MUST include rutabaga??? Must be my Scandinavian blood!

Sue
LOVE rutabaga (and I am Lithuanian). I must admit no one else likes it. I mas it with butter and cheddar cheese--yum!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Our dressing is the same, however we add a stick of melted butter and some canned milk to the broth. Yummy!
Another side dish that is traditional for us is Lime Congealed Salad with pineapple and pecans. Also yummy!

Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
I'm making a green bean casserole that calls for frozen green beans, water chestnuts, fresh mushrooms and a cream sauce..and i top it with French's onions out of a can.....it is awesome. However, I LOVE the tinny taste of the typical greenbean casserole with canned green beans and canned soup ! Too, my stuffing, actually we call if dressing, is pretty good also....make with fresh cooked corn bread, homemade biscuits, mixed with homemade broth, along with cooked celery and onions, a boatload of sage, mixed with beaten eggs and baked until the consistency of a really moist cornbread.........such a southern down home tradition in my family !
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 AM

My new favorite is collard greens! My dbf's father makes it scrumptiously good This year I'm not cooking but will be bringing some pie!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Congratulations!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM

I don't think my table will hold all the yummy recipes I've read. I love all the "family traditions" and comments.