Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
New format, good or bad?  What do others think? >

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

for me it was like moving from a beloved home that was comfy to a new sterile SOLID WHITE house with no decorations in it. men , please don't take offense, but it was like a mantook over , no creativity or sense of color. I feel i lost all my good lold frinds, even had to delete all the stuff to get new msgs. what a shame.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Default Its normal and unavoidable

I've worked with a lot of programmers on projects like this board and the one thing that always shows through is that programmers usually know nothing about their subject matter, they are only trained in programming. It is very difficult to get someone as a subject expert who also understands programming.

Usually and hopefully, it will work itself out in time, just have patience. Their heart is in the right place.

Lanny
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM

I sure don't look at the member, senior member, etc as a "caste system". First of all, someone else's label has no bearing on my self worth. I post when I am interested enough and just 'lurke' most of the time. This is a very interesting place to spend some time and I reallly enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing.
Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
Have only in the last few days gotten back into the forum and so surprised to see the new format. It was like moving from a beloved home into a new one and just not feeling comfortable. One thing I don't feel especially good about is the caste system for members depending on how many posts they have, i.e. member, junior member, senior member, super member. That is what those labels mean, right? If I am wrong please let me know. The other thing that is hard to deal with is the way the messages on the forum are strung out across the page forever, requiring one to use the cursor to move the page along to the right and back to the left and then to the right and back to the left. Well, you probably get the idea and when it is an especially long thread it can get pretty annoying. Has anyone else found this to be the case? Would love some feedback on these issues. Thanks in advance, KitsyKeel
Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM

I've been very patient because I usually enjoy something new.....especially on the computer! But I realy and truly do not like the new format even after using it for several days. The good part is since I won't be spending much time on here, maybe I will get more quilting done.....that is a good thing!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
i so agree. I feel like i'm reading the same topic over and over again.
ditto! Me too!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 AM

PatriceJ: Thanks for the explanation below, I appreciate the time you took to do this.

"1. There is no caste system. User titles are based post counts in sections that relate to quilting. It's our way of showing appreciation to those members who contribute actively to our celebration of quilting.
2. Members can customize their views and sorts by changing their Settings (upper right of every page).
3. Members who rely on the digests to decide what to read will always be a "day late and a dollar short". Don't let a computer pick your reading for you. ;-)
4. "Recent Topics", "What's New", and/or going straight to each forum (aka section) will keep you caught up on the newest goodies. If you experiment with those, you will soon not miss the old "Unread Topics".
5. Subscriptions (which replaced Bookmarks) are easy to use and can be organized in ways the old bookmarks could not. Consult the helpful threads posted here by members.
6. We can use the Custom Pages feature in our blogs to replace My Pages.
7. "The Old Board" - still organized as we remember it - is under the Home tab. Everything else is new and additional. Nobody is going to know or be offended if those extras are of no interest to you. If you prefer to "Stay Home" [pun intended] then that's what you should do. Just put on your fuzzy slippers, pour a favorite beverage, and snuggle up.

is it easy to adapt to such radical changes? not for most of us
can we make the adjustment easier for ourselves? yes. we just have to approach it with an open mind and a sense of adventure. explore. experiment. don't try to master it all in one hour or one day."
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM

I agree !! Not only do the same posts keep showing up for days in a row, but there seem to be many less new ones With
the old method, I looked at the picture posts every day, sometimes twice a day, bookmarked etc., now it is such a pain to wade through all of the posts, to see what is new. It wastes a lot of time and I find myself just not bothering to look, some days.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Im a realativly new member but I did like the old format much better, I am having a hard time getting around it and seem to be re reading the same thing over and over. The old format showed all the new posts . I will continue to try and figure it out.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Don't like the new format at all! I like to look at the picture section and there's just the same thing every day. I'm searching for a new site to connect with.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM

I have found the same to be true regarding old topics. As I looked at the Board Digest for one week there were always the same topics. What's going on. I liked to open the Digest and find new topics for the day. Any comments?