Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM

New one but maybe one with universal attachments she could use maybe on the Singer also.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM

I have 3 old Singers and they sew like a dream, 1-1963 Pfaff that still sews perfect (inherited from my Grannie) and 2 newer Kenmore machines, both are close to the top of the line. Guess which one is in the shop???LOL The 3 year old Kenmore. Have purchased all of my Singer feet for the different machines for reasonable prices. My FW has gone to every retreat, class I have given or taken over the last 10 years and never missed a beat. I would suggest she take the machine her MIL gave her to a trusted service man. Have it checked over and see if he thinks it's worth keeping, and if it is, have it cleaned, serviced and fix any potential problems. Then decide where to spend the money for new machine or feet. Most service people will not charge anything (or very small fee) if machine is not worth fixing. Just a suggestion from someone obsessed with quilting and sewing machines!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I would keep in mind that the MIL gave her the one she now has. Wouldn't want to cause bad feelings in the family.
I was thinking the same thing! I don't think basic feet for a Singer cost that much. Maybe it would be better to get the basic feet and when (if) the Singer breaks down, really go all out getting her a great machine.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i would actually talk to her about it---is she really attached to the machine? she may not have any interest in a new machine-
also---would her mother in law be hurt- maybe not-
if you do go for a new machine tell her she should still hold on to the older one- you just never know when you might need a back up-
i have been on both sides of this---actually all 3 sides of this- my mil gave me an old machine years ago when i was sewing my kids clothes by hand- later that year my mother sent me a newer machine- i stuck the older machine in a closet- another year or so went by i got my sister sewing-on the old machine- that old (machine from mil passed around between family members for 20 years- then i gave it to my daughter when she turned 21- and had her own daughter to sew for- then her mil gave her a much nicer new machine a year or so later- one of my neices kids are now using the old-old machine-it is still in the family---we just pass machines around to whom ever needs one at the time- there are no hard feelings- as we could get better ones we did- no one ever expected us to keep on using the old one- the old one was one to keep us sewing until we could get a better one. i can think of 4 different machines over 20 years old that are still being used by siblings, kids, grandkids, neices/nephews- they are excited to get the machine- and as soon as they get a new one they either put the old one away-or pass it on until someone else needs it.
I think this an excellant idea. My daughter has my mother's Singer, we are going to pass it on to other family.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm not familiar with this model of Singer but you might want to look on the Vintage thread on this site. I have a Singer Featherweight from 1936 and it sews like a son-of-a-gun. Will your daughter really use a zipper foot? I haven't used one in a gazillion years. I do have a generic walking foot that cost less than $20. That's one I can't do without. I'd never buy new if a few dollars would get the old one up & running.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM

I would also go with a newer machine. You may find that parts for the older machine are hard to find.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Hold on to the machine, even if she gets a new one!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Check out the thrift stores and e-bay...I have gotten many feet there and the Singers are pretty generic...50 cents a piece! I would let her go with the MIL machine for a while longer and then when you do buy her a new machine, she will appreciate it so much more and want to keep the MIL machine for backup! Too much chance for hurt feelings!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 AM

I've never owned a brother machine, but a couple of my customers bought them from WM and were most unhappy with them. For me the answer is to look at a few machines including trade ins of the various top machines like elna, bernina, and factor in the cost of walking foot, zipper foot if they don't have them. Talk to a couple of repair men and get their point of view of fixing up the existing machine with the feet she wants - don't talk to them about trading it in. They will be figuring in their heads the value of it to themselves to resell and if it's a good machine they will talk it down. About 15 years ago I had my elna super cleaned it was a '74 and I paid $600 for it new. Service man offered me 600 for it in trade. I saw later that my friend had traded hers in and he was selling hers for $800. They were identical machines so I figure he saw a good deal coming his way. Profit on the new sale/profit on the trade in. I'm still using that '74 for most of my everyday sewing and piecing and frankly prefer it over my Viking D1. Quality is very important and the plastic parts of the new machines doesn't always make for a sturdier, quieter machine.
I always keep my existing machine, buy new and hand the old machine down to another as was mentioned in an earlier post. I do keep certain machines for my use. One for heavy duty, one for fancy embroidery, one for everyday sewing. To me the walking foot can make or break a purchase when the person wants to quilt.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 AM

It helps to have a good straight stitch back up machine. she may decide to keep the machine to use when she's just straight stitching blocks, etc. I would surely talk to her about it and encourage her to keep the machine MIL gave her for back up.