Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan... >

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 AM

Good morning everyone.

Pam, Ethan is on my prayer chain, I know how scary this must be for you and the family. At least being in that area ( the Twin Cities) they do have good docs.

Cindy, I love the quilts. A friend of mine favors the Yellow Brick Road pattern and there is one thing I don't understand. Why is it called Yellow Brick Road? Nobody seems to know. It's a neat pattern though. It looks like it goes together fast.

I had good news at the endocrinologist yesterday. She said all the tests came back normal. She agrees with the neurologist that I'm having mini seizures that given time and medicine adjustments they can be controlled that way. She said she considers me a non-symptomatic diabetic meaning that as long as I don't gain any weight back my diabetis will be controlled, but if I keep gaining weight I will eventually need to be on oral meds and if I get heavy enough on insulin. She said it is a condition that they have diagnosed type 2 diabetics with that have been able to controll there diabetis with diet and exercise. So I guess I better get in gear and loose the 25 lbs I've gained and start swimming again. I quit water aerobics because of the episodes I 've been having but I figure if I stay fairly close to the side of the pool I'll be O.K. God will take care of me. That's what they have life guards for right!

Have a good day everyone. And Patti I love your saying. I'm taking it One Day at a Time.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 AM

Good morning Ladies! I hope you all are doing well & getting fit and fabulous! I have lost 4 pounds this month so far. I really would love to get that 10 pound challenge made but there is that little thing called Thanksgiving next week. I will step up my excerise & take small helpings to get thru it. We were asked about funny Thanksgivings...years ago I hosted my hubby's entire family after his Gramma passed. My MIL just couldn't face having it at her house without her mom. So all of the aunt, uncles, cousins came happily to our house (funny~ no one else offered) I was still a new cook but I did what I could. All of the sides were done & smelling great but that turkey just wouldn't cook. It finally got done hours after the sides were ready. Other than the ruined mashed potatoes it was ok (just okay!) The next year I said I would do it again just to prove I could do it right. The food was all excellent but my dear MIL brought a guest that year. A Canadain Indian who was their fishing guide that summer. Nice guy but he was passed out drunk on the couch well before dinner was served!!! The kids loved to tell everyone that we had a real Indian for Thanksgiving but that was the LAST time I hosted everyone from that family!!! ROTF, we still open our doors to whoever wants to come but I try to keep it much smaller now.

Last edited by Beachbound; 11-17-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Ten pounds isn't going to happen for me. I am hoping for 5.
I love Thanksgiving, and look forward to this holiday more than the others because it is about family. We are a very small group, so it means lots when we can get together. The sad part is my son married a girl who wanted him and not the rest of the clan. Now that they have two little boys, she really has the power and it is all her family and he has thrown his under the bus. They have been married 7 years and I haven't seen them in 2. He doesn't even send pictures so I have no idea what they look like at 2 and 4 years of age. I reflect on how my husband and I made sure that both sets of parents were part of our lives. Sadly we lost our parents when we were in our 30's. It amazes me that he just threw his away. I wonder if he will ever realize or care that his side of the family is not a part of his or his boys lives. Oh, well. I still send gifts that are not acknowledged, hoping that someday he will wake up and remember the Mom, Dad and Sister and Aunt that were a big part of his life for 32 years. Sorry, I get sad at this time of year, knowing this hole in my heart has a hard time healing.
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Good morning Ladies! I hope you all are doing well & getting fit and fabulous! I have lost 4 pounds this month so far. I really would love to get that 10 pound challenge made but there is that little thing called Thanksgiving next week. I will step up my excerise & take small helpings to get thru it. We were asked about funny Thanksgivings...years ago I hosted my hubby's entire family after his Gramma passed. My MIL just couldn't face having it at her house without her mom. So all of the aunt, uncles, cousins came happily to our house (funny~ no one else offered) I was still a new cook but I did what I could. All of the sides were done & smelling great but that turkey just wouldn't cook. It finally got done hours after the sides were ready. Other than the ruined mashed potatoes it was ok (just okay!) The next year I said I would do it again just to prove I could do it right. The food was all excellent but my dear MIL brought a guest that year. A Canadain Indian who was their fishing guide that summer. Nice guy but he was passed out drunk on the couch well before dinner was served!!! The kids loved to tell everyone that we had a real Indian for Thanksgiving but that was the LAST time I hosted everyone from that family!!! ROTF, we still open our doors to whoever wants to come but I try to keep it much smaller now.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM

oh Sweetie, I am so sorry! I don't understand why some people are like that. My mother was like that, she would make sure that no one ever got close to anyone but her. I grew up thinking that my brothers didn't like me only to find out after she passed how many lies she told her entire life. Hugs for you, I hope you can find peace with this. You are right to keep sending the cards and cards because some day the truth will come out...it always does.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 AM

I am just finishing up quilts for the boys to send along with a related pillowcase for Christmas. I will have to post a picture when they are done. I used Hot Wheel car fabric in various ways. The pillowcases have a road design on them. I thought I would find a cute car to include as part of the gift. I made an advent calendar quilt too and will send it next Wednesday, so it gets there before Dec 1st. Your would think we lived on the other coast, but we are 2 1/2 hours away. Thanks for the kinds words. We all have some sadness in our lives. I guess it is there to help us appreciate the happy wonderful things that come our way.
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
oh Sweetie, I am so sorry! I don't understand why some people are like that. My mother was like that, she would make sure that no one ever got close to anyone but her. I grew up thinking that my brothers didn't like me only to find out after she passed how many lies she told her entire life. Hugs for you, I hope you can find peace with this. You are right to keep sending the cards and cards because some day the truth will come out...it always does.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Hi all,
Have read some posts but am too far behind to read all, sorry. For the past few days the board would not allow me to reply but today it is cooperating, I think.

I have a few days off (use them or loose them) and am trying to get ready for the invasion of my son and some of his friends. I have to work all the days he will be here but I am not complaining, it will be great to get a hug and meet his apartment mate.

Must get off the computer and back to work. So happy for all the encouragement I get from the members here.

Jeannette in NJ
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
I am just finishing up quilts for the boys to send along with a related pillowcase for Christmas. I will have to post a picture when they are done. I used Hot Wheel car fabric in various ways. The pillowcases have a road design on them. I thought I would find a cute car to include as part of the gift. I made an advent calendar quilt too and will send it next Wednesday, so it gets there before Dec 1st. Your would think we lived on the other coast, but we are 2 1/2 hours away. Thanks for the kinds words. We all have some sadness in our lives. I guess it is there to help us appreciate the happy wonderful things that come our way.
I hope you wrote on the quilt labels with love from Gramma or something. Hopefully they will see them in years to come & know!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Murphy, how sad. My youngest daughter just delivered a b-day present to her former child care provider who is a friend of mine. Marian cried when L gave her the apron - none of her own five children called or brought a gift. The woman does so much for her children - they ask way too much of her and this is the thanks she gets???? I will see two of them Sunday and I have no trouble saying something to them. I'm sorry your son allows this separation to happen. My son absolutely hates the expression, "A daughter is a daughter all her life, a son is a son until he takes a wife." He takes great offense at it. I have another friend who was in your situation. The son's wife recently died of cancer and now Joan's son and his college age daughters are finally in her life. Think of what she's missed. I'm on my way to grandson's basketball game now.

My weight slid down to my Nov starting weight today. Now to drop the two I wrote on my calender for this month. I just made a Caramel Apple cake for a meeting tonight. It's a good thing I can't have any. That brown sugar and butter frosting is too good.

Cindy, your bright quilts are very appealing. I need to make something like that after this one that has been such a measuring challenge. At least my next one is from a pattern. It's challenge is curved seams.

Jeanne, that's good news about the blood sugar. Now let's hope the seizure meds kick in. I miss my water aerobics - do an extra class for me.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.

Last edited by irishrose; 11-17-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM

weighed today, the weight I had gained this month, I have finally taken it back off so I am now at my starting weight for the month. I am glad that it came back off.

Went and did some pampering today. Got my nails and toes done. I love getting pedicures. My feet we so bad.

Thanks for all the complements on the quilts I posted.

Have a good warm evening.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Good morning everyone. I know how you feel feel Murphy. My DIL and son picked up and moved to CA three years ago and we haven't heard from them since. They took the two youngest GS with them but left the oldest one here so at least we have him to be close to. We are having Thanksgiving with my DIL mother because she doesn't have any family close either. We aren't a big fan of holiday's around here.

I weighed in this morning and according to my scale I'm sitting at 126.5. My goal is to go back to recording my food and make a menue to follow. Of course I want to start swimming again. If I can get through this week without gaining anything I will be happy. Because of the holidays the pool is closed part of the time and I need to get the schedule so I know when I can go.

God Bless Everyone - One Day at a Time!