Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling at Christmas Bazaar >

Selling at Christmas Bazaar

Selling at Christmas Bazaar

Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Ditto on that...quilted picture holder, crayon rolls, AND what is potato bag?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Items priced under $20 sell the best. It is easier to appeal to the impulsive shopper.

Anything with cute sayings, sells well.

French country is very popular, Tuscan, and of course shabby chic, or cottage chic,
so plan your displays accordingly. Strong primary colors, for those who have kitchens
featuring deep blue and yellow, or the deep oranges, russets, gold. Then have a display
of pastel items, that will coordinate with shabby chic.

I noticed at a sale this past year, that small wooden child chairs, and benches were selling
like wild. One lady told me, she uses the small chairs in her decorating all thru the house.
On the fireplace hearth, in the kitchen for a stack of cookbooks, on the porch to hold a
pot of geraniums, so keep an eye out, at garage sales for those to resell, repaint etc.

I have been collecting frames, to insert a chalkboard into, that seems popular in kitchens
lately. And I have been painting the lower portion of terra cotta pots with chalkboard paint,
and adding a sweet thought in chalk calligraphy. These can be used in the sewing room to store
fat quarters to sewing implements.

Another sale, I noticed that sun hats were a popular item, from infants to adults.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Potato bags are bags you stick in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, to bake potatoes. It makes them more fluffy and etc. http://www.potatobakingbag.com/
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I have done craft fairs off and on for years, and the one thing you can be sure about is that you never know what will go over big. I just did a small fair a couple of weeks ago and my table runners in Christmas and other seasonal colors and fabrics sold the best. Don't limit yourself just to Christmas, as people like to give gifts throughout the year, so variety helps. A friend recommended that I make matching napkins with my placemats, as they might sell better. Also, keep your prices reasonable, your list seems reasonable to me about what might sell and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Two years ago I sold items at our local "craft show." Lots of purses (many themes), aprons, table runners. The Christmas purses, of which I only had three, sold immediately to one lady who purchased them for her daughters and daughter-in-law. Other things not so well. I did take orders for a few monogramed dance bags. I spent more money on other peoples' crafts than I made selling my own. I would love to do it again, but since I am such a procrastinator, I wait until very late to start on items to sell and then don't have enough to even bother paying for a booth. My daughter said last night that if I started now, maybe in five years I would have enough. She's so funny and she knows me well.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM

how about the microwave bowls. they are great.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM

There are a lot of wonderful ideas here. I'm going to save this thread for future info.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar View Post
One things that ALWAYS sells at our guild fundraisers (and at the various churches' fundraisers our members sew/quilt for) are small bags - not purses. Best point of all: THES ARE MAJOR SCRAP & STASH BUSTERS. Many people bought these bags to use to put smaller gifts in (such as a gift card or two with candy, or some sewing notions or items everyone could use (rotary cutter blade packs, special thread, marking pencil)

Best selling items' patterns:

1. Stitchin Sisters "SNAP HAPPY"
http://www.ericas.com/sewing/patterns/58951b.jpg
Actually, check out ALL of the "snap" line of patterns; these items close using a metal carpenters tape. The fabric tabs make this especially helpful for seniors and kids who have trouble grabbing/pulling zippers.
There's a video on how to do those snap bags at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdpy..._order&list=UL
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM

I found this free pattern site for many of the items mentioned in this thread!! Gift card holder and crayon bag to name a few.
http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5

Good luck everyone,
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Children's purses and boys and girls aprons sell good!