Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
child projects >

child projects

child projects

Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM

My DGD (8 yrs old) and I have made small tote bags. They were very easy for her & are really just a square with handles added. They can be made in any size. She made several small ones out of Halloween material for her classmates and a large beach tote for a teacher who was leaving. I'll try to find the pattern & post it for you.

Here's one of our pics & the link with instructions from All People Quilt's website:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...at-tote_1.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Halloween bags.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	289128  

Last edited by Bonbonary; 11-19-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added link & pic
Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 PM
RMM

Thank you ladies for all the good ideas!!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM

This might be a bit messy, but it's fun! And perfect for the holidays. A great scrap buster too:

Fabric ornaments:
http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.co...ornaments.html
Old 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM

A very quick project is a t-shirt bag. Have them bring a favorite t-shirt that no longer fits.
cut the sleeves off (keeping the arm seam attached to the "bag")
use a small plate on the head opening and cut it out to make the handles and bag opening
sew the bottom closed (reinforce it by sewing a couple of times)

These are great for keeping in your purse for shopping.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Bean bags are fast and easy, and give them something to play with afterwards. Line up some buckets or bowls across the floor at different distances and let them stand in one spot and throw their beanbags in.

You can put actual dried beans in the beanbags if you have nothing else, but if they get anywhere near moisture they will swell and rot. Those beanbags won't last very long. There are plastic granules you can buy in craft stores for making beanbags and weighted bottoms to toys. Those would be better and safer.

Another idea to sew would be aprons. They can give those as gifts for Christmas.
i did have to chuckle at this bit of 'advertised obsolescence'...i'm sure someone sold you this bill of goods, but the beanbags in my grandmother's play toy box were at least 60 yrs old the last i knew and they are still in the box and still being played with by my grandchildren's generation...and that's 4 generations that i KNOW of... and as for humidity...Kansas in the summer? trust me, the beans/peas/popcorn will all work fine!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM

How about place mats? They can be as quick and easy as you want. Also bags to carry stuff. Doesn't have to be quilted.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:01 AM

theres a really neat small Christmas quilt by Eleanor Burns. She even has the video with a child making the quilt.
Its a tube quilt using 12 Christmas fabrics sewn into 4 in strips then tubed and cut into 2 1/2 in strips.
By cutting one of the fabics in half before sewing to another strip you get a zig zag effect.
Its in the book Christmas at Bears Paw Ranch. It has lots of patterns that kids can make in it.
Im trying to add a picture in the editing mode but it will not give me that option.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 11-20-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM

Im beginning to dislike the new computer geek expertese required to post with the new format. How can you post a picture in the edit mode?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 AM

My 3 granddaughters wanted to learn to sew. We have made pillowcases, and then I bought a book "One-Yard Wonders" by Rebecca Yaker and Patricia Hoskins. There are 101 projects in the book and require all skill levels. Each girl looked through the book and picked projects that they wanted to make. My youngest DGD who is 10 years old picked 80 projects to make both for herself and for gifts. The other 2 DGD picked a lot of projects but not 80. I think we will be busy for a long long time. They shop in my stash and if we can't find the "perfect" fabric we go to the store.
Sue
Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Make some baked potato bags for cooking in the microwave. They would be easy and make great little gifts.