Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts.. >

Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts..

Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 PM

I'm very interested in this topic. I've been on the Internet for too long trying to compare; but it is very difficult to find prices. I really don't want to get it until Spring but I see so many sales now. I've been taking quilting lessons. They sell Bernina, Elna, and Pfaff. The owner swears by Bernina but will not take anything away from the others. I know that Janome now makes Elna; and one model of Elna is the same as one of the Janomes. I really, really want the stitch regulator; but Berninas are so expensive compared to Janomes. However, the Janomes have everything but the stitch regular at a much cheaper price. Decisions, decisions! It's driving me crazy and I'm behind on lots of things at home. As I said, I'm very interested in responses to your question.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:33 PM

I am fortunate to own a Singer XL6000 for embroidery, a Juki TL98Q, which is not fancy, just sews straight stitches but it is a work horse & 1/2 (handles 10 layers of denim). I bought it for quilting because the throat area is bigger than a normal machine. I also own a Bernina Series 8 - 820 machine, which my husband bought me for my birthday. It is my "dream machine". The throat area is even bigger than the Juki & it does a gazillion things that my Juki does not do. It has a stitch regulator & lots of extra features but the price is probably out of reach for a lot of people. I live in Canada & it retails for just over $8,000.00 here. I LOVE it but it made me very anxious (at first) because the bobbin works very differently from other machines & if you try & cheat with it, you will pay the price. It holds 1 1/2 times more thread than other machines but you must be careful with it. It is a wonderful machine though. For the money the Juki is a top notch machine but no frills, at least not the 98Q model that I own but what it does do, it does very well. Depending on what you want your machine to do, there are some very good machines out there & you won't have to pay an arm & a leg for them. You just have to have some idea as to what you want your machine to do. My friend just bought a Janome & she is very happy with it also. I hope this helps you a little. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:39 PM

If you're looking at new machines keep in mind they are almost all being made in China and made to be disposable- the issue is how much you want to sock into one. Talk to your local repair people and find out the cost of repairs. If she is not a sewer you need to decide are you making the investment for her or you. she can always upgrade when or if she finds she really loves it. Older machines- pre 1960 are sturdy and can handle many tasks the new ones can not.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Well, here's some good news!!! i just got the weekly newsletter from my local quilt store (and Bernina dealer) and it seems that Bernina has a sale on an entry level machine!!!! Get this....the 215 is on sale for just a few days for $699....AND it has a needle threader, needle up/down and full or half speed setting. it looks like it's a smaller machine, but it's a Bernina nevertheless! I think I'll get over there this week to check it out! Christmas is coming!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM

I've had them all, Janome, Singer, Viking and Bernina. Each had things I liked but I feel Bernina gives me the best stitch. I am one of those people who is into bells and whistles so Berninas can be absurdly expensive ( worth every penny if you are an experienced sewer and into the learning curve needed to get the best from the machine)
Buy the best you can afford. Go above the bare bones machine because you will outgrow it. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM

i have two janome and i love them both.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM

You and she will love a Bernina!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm very interested in this thread!! My 30 year old Singer Touch-Tronic 2001 is struggling so I'm starting to look at machines. Everyone says the Berninas are better for FMQ. But I don't really want to spend a fortune! After all this is a hobby. I also have a Janome (one that Hancock Fabrics sold for a short time- featured as a lightweight machine to take to classes) its ok for straight stitching.
I'm looking forward to hearing what you purchase!!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM

I have had my Bernina 440 for 2 years now & love it so much we just bought me another Bernina. This one is a 330 to use for sewing while the 440 is set up for embroidery. It was on sale plus it was a demo from the Atlanta Quilt show so the price was a little better. I enjoy sewing and do it often so the Berninas are worth it to me. If I was learning & not sure if I would really need this much machine I would look into another Sears Kenmore. I had 2 of those & they lasted a good long time. I got my first Kenmore when I was 16 & used it until I was 40. Then I got another Kenmore & my daughter is still using that one so I had a good 20+ years of use from each of them. The down side was there were no lessons or back up support when I needed it. I still call the Bernina dealer 2 years later when I have a question or want them to demo a foot or something. They are super helpful & friendly. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 PM
QM
Power Poster

I began quilting in 2000, having been sewing forever. Several of my friends have been very happy with their Berninas. I bought one of the more expensive models in 2001, because I could not afford the Viking I really wanted. It gave me huge amounts of trouble, ending with a frozen motor after 3 years. It was out of warrantee, of course. I bought a much cheaper Janome Which gave me excellent service. I have now passed that one on to a beginning quilter and have a model 6600, which I love. You have to make your decisions based on the reality of your finances, but I can tell you that the Janone dealer showed my DH the comparison between Bernina and Janome construction and he was very impressed, as I was by the stitching. I like the fact that the Janome has a mid-length arm which makes the actual quilting much easier.