Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric? >

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM

This is very informative. thank you to all. I will have to watch my fabrics from now on, but unless they can prove that I used their fabric with a neglegent contempt to the law, I am not going to really worry about this. I won't buy from now on what I can read as restricted. But I will quilt as I always have- or hopefully better- and go on with my life.
What is this world coming to? It is greed for sure, and that "Me" recognition that too many have to have.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM

I've gotten fabric at both JoAnn's and Walmart and noticed that on the selvage after the purchase. So I guess those bow tucks will be for my personal use. From now on I've decided to take to the extra time and check the selvage as I intend to boycott these products. I'm almost tempted to take the ones back to JoAnn's, explain why and ask for a refund. If the local stores realize people are boycotting they might change was stock they order.

I'm thinking I might take one as a sample and if anyone wants to buy their own material making them a bag for a nominal charge. Do you think that would be legal?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM

I agree. I believe that we should inform our local quilt stores of this problem and that we will NOT purchase these fabrics. If they can see that they will not be selling it, they won't be ordering it and the manufacturer's/licensed 'money-sue happy ' greedyguts find out their $$ will diminish, they may think differently! Interestingly, a person can change one little thing about a patended item and file a new patend but not use fabric ?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Well correct me if I am wrong, but according to the copyright laws, we cannot recopy and then sell patterns, but we do have the right to use the patterns and fabrics as we wish after purchasing them.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
The almighty dollar certainly rules our society. The Baltimore baseball team just announced that they are bringing back the old cartoon version of thier logo. They are also switching back to orange instead of the black they have had for a number of years. Now all of the "loyal" fans will have to purchase new sportswear to wear to the games etc.
What really bugs me is fabric with definate "kid friendly" design, especially flannel, that has a warning not to be used in children's sleepwear. I spent my whole childhood in "flannel" pjs. If it is not meant for kids who else would wear or use it?
Not to be used in children's sleepwear is because of the fabric not being flame retardent.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

when using a licensed fabric- or one that states 'not for commercial use' it is necessary to contact the designer (or license holder) and ask permission before selling what you make with the fabric- many times the permission is given (as long as you include the designer's name-license holder and --used with permission--on your label.
it is a simple matter to ask-
and if they say no- --- well- don't use their fabric then for commercial use- save it for the gifts/personal items you make
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Tabberone - thank you so much for your contributions to the thread - I pretty much consider you the authority on the issue (Ability to cite sources does much to improve credibility, and thank you for your *wonderful* site
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM

I will start looking at the selvedges now. I don't want to buy any fabric that I couldn't use in something I wanted to sell. You might start off making something for yourself and wind up finding a buyer.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM

To all of you crafty quilters who make fantastic things from selvedges...how about making something from those "not for commercial use" ones. haha
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM

I just won't buy any of the fabric that has that on it. Why do they make it if they don't want to sell it for use?