Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So slow down already! >

So slow down already!

So slow down already!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

My DH looked at a set of blocks that I finshed yesterday and he commented that all the corners and points met perfectly. I told him that I slowed down and paid attention to every step. I call it my tortoise approach. Funny how we all come to the same conclusion (and all hate the frog maneuver - rrrrrrip it!)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM

I am a very impatient person and have paid for it with having to rip out seams in my quilts! I try to slow down but it's not easy for me. I'm 64 and you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM

My grandfather's favourite saying-"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!"
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Not only do I need to slow down, but I need to learn to put it down. Once I get going on something I get whacky and can't make myself stop. My husband will come in at 2:00 PM and pull the plug on my machine. I think there is something wrong with me!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:00 PM

A very good reminder. I needed this. Thanks for the uplifting advice to pay attention to what I sew.

I'll never forget the one workshop my DD and I took together to make the bowls with the clothesline and fabrics. she said "Mom, that's the slowest I ever heard you sew. Is something wrong?"
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Oh boy, that is me! Last night, my sister-in-law and I were both sewing in her basement. She was sewing at a sensible, conservative pace while I was pedal to the metal! Is it any wonder that her quilt tops are awesome? And, in spite of the difference in sewing speed, she has completed MANY times more quilt tops than I. Good thing I like quilting and don't mind doing her binding! Good thing she doesn't mind sewing a quilt top for me now and then!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM

I teach quilt workshops sometimes, and I've noticed the people who can't seem to get the blocks sewn together right are the ones who stomp the pedal all the way down to the floor! Their borders are not straight and their blocks are wonky. . . they can't sew a straight seam. . . their "quarter inch seams" range from 1/8" to 1/2" or more . . . 'nough said.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM

This is too funny and I agree with you. I am a slow person in the first place, I don't zip around doing much of anything, just the way I am. Everyone would say "you are slow". One time a 4-h friend cut out my dress for me because she thought I was going too slow, well what a mess she made of it and I thought to myself, I would rather go slow and do it right the first time. I hate to have to rip out and I try to do it well so that I don't have to rip. Just the way I am.lol However, yesterday I was ripping right along, it seems like just about anything I did I did it wrong
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Hehehe....do as I say......not as I do.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
It's just kinda like the whole world is today ... fast, fast, fast! One of my favorite sayings, and my family hears it a lot, is "if you don't have time to do it right the first time, you sure don't have time to do it again!" So yes, slow and steady gets it done!
I love that saying! I'll have to remember it when I'm zipping along with my sewing. I'm not good enough to speed through this process, and I know I do better if I slow down. I've taken to automatically reducing the speed of my machine when I start it up.