Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I got an AARP card in the mail?????! >

I got an AARP card in the mail?????!

I got an AARP card in the mail?????!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bevanger
some people either don't understand or prefef to ignore the policy.

I hope you all don't feel I was ignoring the policy. :cry: I was just being silly about making a quilt to take with me to heaven. It was a silly comment. I didn't mean it to be a religious war. I'm NOT a mean person. I was FINALLY feeling good and in a happy mood so was trying to express it. It seams my mouth doesn't know when to shut up. If you think its best, I'll disappear .....
I took your comment the same way I would take a comment someone was making about making a Halloween Quilt or a Christmas Quilt or a Baptismal Quilt or those quilts that are at Jewish weddings. I think it was a fun idea.

I think many quilts are made to mark/celebrate/acknowledge/commemorate important events - whatever that might be to the maker or recipient.

And to tie this back to AARP - maybe they should have a section for discounts to fabric and craft stores?

Gee, aren't quilts only MADE by and FOR old people? (I'm being very sarcastic here, so don't jump all over me)

AARP sends out a LOT of offers for various kinds of insurances. From what we can tell, if you should be interested, COMPARE RATES WITH OTHER COMPANIES. From what we've observed, they do not have the lowest rates in the country.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I wonder if there are discounts for fabric. :)
No, I checked into that. Tee hee. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I do wonder how I get on various mailing lists??
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM

anybody who doesn't promise exclusivity can sell your email address and name. the buyer can then sell it to a third party, and on and on.......
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 AM

I know the feeling, I started getting these when I turned 25. I was far from amused. :evil: I still get them & I'm not even 45.

I've called, wrote, you name it. Save the $$$ for real senior issues. Now I just write all over the papers I'm only....whatever age I am at the time & stuff it all back into the prepaid envelope & mail it. They stop for a couple of months then they start back up. I do feel somewhat guilty, but I tried to tell them.

But then again, I do the same thing w/ CC offers. I write all over them that I didn't ask for these offers & I'm not interested. Stuff it all back in the ppe, but I feel wayyyyyyyy less guilty. :twisted:
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Mommazilla, I have to wonder what it is you do that gets you back onto the AARP mailing lists. This is not typical, lol!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 PM

I get info from AARP, I have the card, and I read what I am interested in, and let the rest go to the recycle bin. I do work the crossword puzzle in the magazine and use their web site for soduko and other games. :?
I also keep getting cards to get burial insurance! Yuch! Our guild had a presentation on burial quilts! Actually coffin quilts are quite fetching and could be a source of income! :lol:
Old 08-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Well said, Shelley!

Ladies, the key here is do your homework! AARP would like you to think that they are the only thing out there! Good news is - you DO have a choice!

I encourage you to check out: http://www.americanseniors.org

Take care,
Sara
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Shemjo, who knew that burial quilts really existed? Still it makes sense. I found some info on the web re Native American burial quilts.

Sara, thanks for the link. I didn't see an minimum age on their website. Do you happen to know what it is? (Not that I want to join anything just yet, but it's always good to have the facts.)

Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh gosh...I've been using my own AARP card for years! My DH is 17 yrs older than me...and I got a spouse card when he turned 50. Can't tell you how much $ I have saved on hotel rooms, rental cards...AOL membership...whatever I can. DH really tried to rub it in when the mail came on my 50th birthday...but then I reminded him....how much he beat me there by, so....end of story.

No, I don't agree with all their politics, but then again...I might not agree with everyone here's politics either. It doesn't stop me from using and enjoying the board. It doesn't stop me from paying my 12 bucks and saving even more in discounts. Those of you on AOL...you should be getting your AARP discount...