Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price for Machine Quilting? >

Price for Machine Quilting?

Price for Machine Quilting?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 AM

I do quilting in northern MN and the cost is $.015 per square inch so for a quilt that is 60 x 60, the cost would be $54.00 and some have minimum costs for quilts that are smaller and some also have seperate thread charges. Hope this helps but it appears that different parts of the country all have different pricing.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 AM

I charge by the square inch and what design the client wants. example an edge to edge is less than custom work. Custom works takes longer to complete.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I just had two quilts (both approximately 100 x 100) and my LAQ who does a fantastic job charged my $198 for both including batting.

Originally Posted by NIICHMOM View Post
I am fairly new to quilting, I have always done my own quilting on my Sears Sewing Machine, (bought in the '70') or by tying them. But I am doing alot more piece quilting,
and I would like to have them quilted by long arm quilting. But I have never read or heard how much does one charge for long arm quilting. How much for a baby, single or queen size quilt... size or job. Could some enlighten me on this. THank You in advance..
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
The back and front were both to have 4 inch borders . I trimmed the first border and all was well. When I trimmed the second I realized she ddin't center the back and I have a 1 inch border on one end and a 7 inch border on the other.
Centering a backing is extremely difficult. I have been quilting on a track frame since 2005 and will not even offer that. You are fortunate that she is going to redo it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Whatever you decide or whoever you decide to do your quilting; get the cost upfront in writing AND make sure you both are clear on the design of quilting you want. As many of you know I paid through the nose for a king size quilt that had very little quilting (wasn't even enough to hold together the batting). When I told her it wasn't what I had requested be done in the blocks and asked that it be done as requested it took over 3 more months to get it back. Now I have holes (where the previous quilting was done) that I'm sure will never go away and will always be obvious. I took it to her initially in July and didn't get it back until November.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
Centering a backing is extremely difficult..
By this do you mean the quilt back was about the same size as the top and not 4" bigger on each side?

Thanks for the info. I never sent my quilts out but I hear it's about .015 sq inch around here...you provide top/batting/back. I believe there's additional charges if the color of the thread has to be changed out often.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
By this do you mean the quilt back was about the same size as the top and not 4" bigger on each side?

Thanks for the info. I never sent my quilts out but I hear it's about .015 sq inch around here...you provide top/batting/back. I believe there's additional charges if the color of the thread has to be changed out often.
As I understand the original post, she had a border on the front, and a border on the backing. She wanted the top centered on the backing, so it was even all around (the backing border). The top one is not an issue, the bottom border is very difficult to center the top on.

Every long armer has her own pricing, offers different options and has their specialty. Keep asking. I long arm for others, but don't like to have a long waiting list. Therefore, I dont' advertise. Word of mouth keeps me just as busy as I want to be. I meet my customers in an AOL quilt chat room I have been chatting on for years, one lady found me on my blog, and I have a few close friends that ask me to quilt for them regularly. Network and ask other quilters who they use.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 AM

I charge .015 x length x width for an edge to edge pantograph design.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Very glad you asked this question. Now i know. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
Of course it would depend on where you live, but I just had two lap sizes quilted for $60 ea, it was a beautiful overall design, I provided the batting. Check out your local quilt shops, many posts their business cards there.
Yes--I was going to recommend local quilt shops also if you have any nearby. We have several where I live and they all have long-armers who advertise in the store and some of them even have them listed on their websites (the quilt shop website, that is). Good luck with your search. I have been very interested in this topic myself as I have a piecing project that would be finished much sooner if I had someone else quilt it! :-)