Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price for Machine Quilting? >

Price for Machine Quilting?

Price for Machine Quilting?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Think you are getting ripprd off! Maybe someone on here can lead you to a more affordable quilter!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've paid $40 for some and $398 for a custom king. And that custom job was fantastic. I accidentally burned two of the borders with a candle and was sick to my stomach until I realized I could just cut off those two borders (I have 4 borders) and rebind the quilt. I wasn't crazy about the two outside borders anyway.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM

I see there is a whole range of prices here. I know I charge 1.4 cents per square inch for everything. I don't do pantos...only free hand. Good luck on your search.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Depends on where you go and what is included. I can get my quilts machine quilted for 2.5 cents a square inch and that is custom quilting that includes everything except binding (batting, thread and trimming although I keep telling them not to). I can also get them machine quilted for 2 cents a square inch, but then I have to buy the batting and thread). Some people give specials during 'down' times, such as right after the holidays. I also have a couple of toppers set aside for long arm newbies. They charge basement prices because they are learning to use their machine. I'm a happy to provide a quilt so that they can get practice. Yes, I quilt or tie most of my quilts, but sometimes I just want to get something done.

Some regions simply cost less than others, so find out what is average for your area or consider shipping a quilt to someone to do.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 11-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM

My long arm person charges 3.5cents an inch and some times 4.5 plus special thread is extra and batting and the binding is also extra if one of the girls do it.Although this month she giving the batting to every quilt she does. Nice of her isn't it.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 PM

I have never sent a quilt out yet but I have been looking at all those done and presented on QB. I have to say that Charismah does such a wonderful job. The quilts she has done are always spectacular. Her prices are reasonable. I know that because I pm'd her a while ago to find out. When the time comes to send one out to be quilted, Charismah is the one I will go to.
I have no personal connection with Charismah. This is just my personal opinion of the great works of hers that I have seen here on QB.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM

It all depends on the size and what the person wants done. I agree with ckcowl when someone asks me how much I charge I have to tell them I need to see the quilt and we need to discuss what they want done. No two quilts are priced the same that I do... If you set a price for baby,lap and etc you are setting yourself up for some headaches. Some quilts will be more difficult than others. Just mho.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Depends where you live. Ask if they charge by the square foot, extra charges for custom quilting and how much they charge for pantograph. In Australia, it is usually $2.50-$3.50 per square foot for pantographs. I know one lady paid $580 for custom quilting on a double bed quilt. You see why a few of us are encouraged to do our own?
All the best with making a wise decision.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 AM

I quilt mostly for friends, and agree different fees for where you live. I have 3 prices starting at 0.015 for freehand, then panto, then custom. I charge extra for pressing and squareing off BEFORE loading, pieceing backing, adding binding, and thread. There are alot of LA's around here, and prices vary.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:46 AM

My wife and I own a WOW strecthed mid arm quilter(16 inch throat area). I just purchease a 16 year old Gammill Classic with a 14 ft rack. Its been sittting for 5 years unused. Will need to be serviced but for ONLY $250 couldn't pass it up. We charge 1.5 cents per square inch. Measure the top multiply lenth by width, then times it by.015. This is for basic meandering and the wife likes to put some special designs in her meandering ie. flowers,moons, stars etc. This depends on the top and the quilter. When also chare $5 flat fee for needle and thread. Batting and binding are extra.We haven't taken in any tops from out side our area but when I get a website up we will try it. A little bit nervous about finishing a quilt from some one we never met. Quilters can be very picky, we like to meet and get the quilters ideas and personality. This gives my wife ( the creative one) ides for making the quilt a true one of a kind. My self I do mainly pantographs. Price starts at 2 cents per inch and goes up. We are located outside Albany NY these are about average pricing for our area. Hope this helps a little.