Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So I bought my wife a sewing machine >

So I bought my wife a sewing machine

So I bought my wife a sewing machine

Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Default So I bought my wife a sewing machine

Let me preface this with saying I bought it without consulting her because she is so frugal she would never let me spend the money on her. So I spent quite a while doing research and watching to see what her needs were. Since she primarily does quilting I knew to focus on that. Currently she has a very cheap kenmore that is unreliable and really just a headache for her to use.

I went to a local dealer intending to get her a Viking Sapphire in either the 835 or the 875 but ended up leaving with a Janome 6600P. The lady's there swore by this machine. I did read a good bit on it, before going in their so I wasn't unfamiliar with it. I was surprised how enthusiastic they were over it. She convinced me it would feed better and I also like the fact they have classes to help her learn to use it and it seemed to me she would get better support from them if I went this route.

Honestly they had me so convinced I would have left with the horizon if I didn't think she would make me take it back after seeing the bank statement. Did I make the right choice or is it pretty much a toss-up?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM

This story sounds like my Granddad and Grandma years ago. I think you done good.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Well, I don't have that machine, but from everything I've read here on this board you made a great choice! Once she gets over the sticker shock, she'll be thrilled. Good guy, you are!!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 PM

You did great. I have that machine and I love it! Good job! Let us know how she likes it.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM

I think you did great! I would love it if my dh brought me home one (although I love the vintage myself)! My friends and neighbor has that machine and I have use it.Really really like it!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 PM

My friend has it and LOVES it!! I had already bought a different Janome when they came out with it, or I wouldve got the 6600. Ya done good!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM

I used one last night at our guild - It is a Rolls Royce of a machine - I am still trying to choose between the Bernina 440 QE and this one . . . .or a new husband:P
You are a treasure, and you did the right thing. You will get in trouble though!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Great job!!! I have the 6500 and love it. Some day I may upgrade, but for now I am very happy with my used Janome.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM

You made a WONDERFUL choice! I helped my daughter buy a 6600p this summer and she just LOVES it for both piecing and free-motion quilting. It has lots of stitches for garment and other sewing also. And the built in even feed foot is a dream to sew with.

I think you have just made your wife one HAPPY quilter!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM

The machine that you got for your wife is my dream machine. I am sure that she will love it. Lucky lady with a very nice hubby!