Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann's was crazy! >

Joann's was crazy!

Joann's was crazy!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 AM

I have gone several years in the past and practically had the store to myself because Walmart opened at the same time. Fortunately I have always purchased a lot of flannel in the past and have quite a stash of it. The flannel they are selling now is so cheesy most of it will be found in the lint filter after the first washing. I'll probably go on Sun. missing the best of the sales but only need fleece or sherpa to make new winter coats for the dogs.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Good for you. I'm glad you enjoyed it and had a festive crowd. I went to get flannel at $1.49 2 years ago only because my mother was paying for the fabric for 6 tied quilts she wanted me to make. I still have 2 left to do.

I went at 4 p.m. to get fleece and was only in the cutting line for 15 minutes vs. the 2 plus hours the early bird shoppers experienced. Instead, I spent my early morning at Barns and Noble to score a Nook for my Mom for $79.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Default JoAnns'

I did my shopping on line today. They had free shipping so I got what I needed and didn't have to stand in line!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Last year we went to the local Joann's which is about a 10 min ride from home. The place was crazy and even though I wanted just some small things, the line was about an hour wait to get checked out. I decided to come back the next day and I was able to waltz right on through the check outs. I guess if you are willing to wait to get the material, then it's worth it, but I don't need anything like that. My stash is a mini-quilt store as it is. Congratulations on your buy.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM

I really wanted to go but just couldn't face the crowds... it was so tempting though! The fleece was only $2.99 plus that 25% off coupon and I'm throwing together a bunch of no sew fleece lap quilts for folks for Christmas in addition to the quilts that are done. DH even offered to watch our son so I could go spend money... but I slept in instead
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM

I did not go to Joann's this year. $1.50 flannel does not have the lure that 99 cent flannel usually does, and despite getting there when the doors open, the cutting line is often 3-4 hours long.

There is a charity in the area that just sweeps bolts off the shelves, so if they beat you- there is often nothing left. They were right behind me last year, 10 women each with a full shopping cart- their cash register total was almost $2000 just for fabric. (They also bought all the sergers the store had...)

I'm a little sad I missed it, but I went to Joann's a few days ago with 60% off coupons and couldn't find anything to buy, so it would have just been for the flannel...
Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 PM

I went to my local JoAnns which is CLOSING after the first of the year, they are closing two in the TOLEDO area....boo hoo. I hear they are opening another one, across from a very busy mall and lots of traffic. I like mine close to my home, no traffic easy in and out...but I did go to all 3 local JoAnns yesterday, and have not added up my receipts yes but I know I spent over 250.00 and I did but a ott light, and lots and lots of flannel, plus 9 yards of batting...should keep me busy for awhile, because I will rarely travel to the new store, guess if I need thread or anything, Walmart is close by still.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I did my shopping on-line at JAF and got everything I needed. Love it when they have Rowenta irons half off and shipping is free !!!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:48 PM

I myself did not go to Joanns but i did hear a couple of stories. One person had to wait 3 hours just to have her fabric cut. Someone else SAVED $3,400.00 dollars. i have no idea how much she spent but she saved a bunch. I went today (saturday) and bought 20 yards of batting---50% off and a 25% coupon--so that was worth going for.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:50 PM

What many don't realize is that you can get your fabric cut back in home decor...usually no line and sometimes two
cutters! I went, but not until 9 am or so!!!!