Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ? >

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM

I'd probably do it. I wish nothing but the best for my ex, my children's father. Why be petty about it?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Absolutely do it. Of course everyone's circumstances are different but best possible scenario, on the future occasions when you all have to be together, it's much better to be cordial and your ex and his second wife will remember you helping your daughter to make them something special. Everybody wins. My husband's first wife made us a needlepoint pillow when we married. She wanted to do it, he and I were pleased, the kids were happy about it. We've all been lucky.

Mrs. Fitz - "second wife"
Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Hmmm - I'd probably help her but I'd be sure there were red ants in the batting! LOL! Only kidding. Seriously, I'd give her guidance and help where necessary, but make sure she did most of the work herself. This isn't about you. It's about her wanting to make something special for her father and there's nothing wrong with that. No matter what happened between the two of you, he's still her dad. I always want to be one better than others so that no one can ever say anything bad about me. Just think how you will shine in her eyes.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 PM

I say help her. I would do something for DH's ex if my stepson asked. We have a cordial relationship with DH's ex and her family. Though we don't socialize together or spend holidays together, we do sit together at son's ballgames, or whenever the occasion presents itself. I once told DH that it's not about him and it's not about her, but it's ALL about their son, my stepson. He comes first. I'm sure your daughter comes first with you, so jump right in and help her do her best! She will admire you greatly. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:59 PM

OK So everybody has been nice about this til now-my ex not only didn't want to have kids with me, he got remarried within 60 days of the ink drying on our papers and SHE had their first within ( months of that_I say put itching powder in the batting!!!!!(just kidding)
Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

I would not make it. I would teach her how to make the quilt if she doesn't already know, and let her make it. It is a gift from her, and I think she should make it.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by walkswithwolves View Post
I would help her. Because it didn't work out between your X and you should not, cause problems between you and your daughter. So hold your head high and say to yourself I can do this.
I would "probably" do the same...but what I would be thinking about is NOT appropriate for our "family-oriented" site...LOL!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM

I would say it's her Dad and she needs to do what she needs to do. I don't think you need to help. Depends on your relationship w/your ex. Wouldn't be me and I've been there. Give her basic sewing instruction if need be but you don't need to be party to the quilt. JMO
Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Help her for sure but then make a nice large label with your name along with hers and put it on the back of the quilt. Nice big bold lettering!! Better yet, put it on before it gets quilted so it will stay on!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:46 PM

My daughter would never put me in that position!! My ex husband married my ex best friend.