Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
5 Things You Didn't Know about........ >

5 Things You Didn't Know about........

5 Things You Didn't Know about........

Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 PM

1. I live in the same small town where I was born and raised.
2. I am married for 34 years.
3. We have 5 grown kids and 7 grands.
4. I work at the local hospital as a Food and Nutrition Supervisor.
5. We attend an Indepentant Baptist Church.
6. I take a week of vacation to cook at church camp every year. (One extra)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:12 PM

My 5:
Grew up in Thomasville, GA. I was Valedictorian. Also accompanied all the glee clubs, and groups, plus played for my church.
Married to my Naval Officer husband for 56 years. I'm 74, he's 77.
3 children, 1 girl, 2 boys. 4 grandchildren, 2 girls, 2 boys, all married. No great grands...they're very slow!
Lived all over, Seattle, Texas (twice), Memphis, Pensacola, London and Yokohama. Now in east TN, between trips in our RV.
Youngest son outranks his father, and will retire from the Navy next year.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tcharlie View Post
I guess I am a city girl after all, I have never heard of those terms before. I have pulled weeds but have never heard of detasseled the corn before. We always pulled the ears and detasseled them when we shucked the ears getting them ready for freezing or to be cut off.
When you rogue milo you cut everything that's too tall, too short or the wrong color and all the weeds. For it to be seed milo it has to be as close to all the same as possible. The stuff on the ears of corn is the silk, not the tassel. The tassel is at the top of the plant.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
When you rogue milo you cut everything that's too tall, too short or the wrong color and all the weeds. For it to be seed milo it has to be as close to all the same as possible. The stuff on the ears of corn is the silk, not the tassel. The tassel is at the top of the plant.
We detasseled for Cargil and the reason you detassel is to pollinate. We have some companies around here who do experimental fields to try brands that are in development.

We had a machine we could ride for part of the time. It was like a large tractor with two wing decks for 3 people to stand on each side. You leaned over a rail and pulled the tassels. sounds better than walking but it had it's hazzards too. The bar would rub and you got sunburned more when you weren't in the corn. But we started early in the morning. The dew was still on the leaves at 5am and wet corn leaves slice skin real easy. so we started out with layers of clothes and shed them as it got hot. We felt like we were never going to reach the end of the rows. they were miles long not feet long. But we were kids of 14 -16 so we did what we had to do. You would end up with corn rash and sunburns and cuts from the leaves and totally exhausted. But we were earning money! And they paid pretty well. I did it for 3 yrs. We started at 5am and usually quit bout noon to 1pm. We had a lot of fun too while doing it. We had all grown up or around farms so it wasn't anything strange to any of us. We were all classmates and friends.
I did hate the machines for one thing. I had forgotten to leave my rings at home so I put them in my pocket. I also had a chicklet pkg in my pocket and I think it worked out of my pocket with all the leaning over the bar on the machine and I lost both rings in that corn field. My class ring and a small diamond ring my parents got me for graduation. My mom was really mad!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM

1. I am an only child.
2. Got engaged 2 months after my chemical engineer and I met and married 4 months after that. We will celebrate
our 48th wedding anniversary in June.
3. I have a degree in commercial art, but I can't draw!
4. In February, I will be a nine year survivor of breast cancer.
5. I have tried every pattern drafting program on the market in search of the perfect fit. I haven't found it yet but will continue to pursue it.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM

This has been a very interesting thread. As for me: 1. Grew up in the country and attended a one-room school for first 8 years of schooling. (they didn't have kindergarten)
2: Married to a wonderful man for 57 going on 58 years.
3; Worked on the space program at the very beginning and met 5 of the 7 original astronauts.
4. Retired from working in Data Processing for over 25 years
5. Love to quilt, just don't get enough time to do it all.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 PM

This has been fun reading, so I'll give it a try ....
1. I went skydiving when I was 40 .... something on my bucket list before I had a bucket list. Tethered by a jump line to the plane made pulling the parachute easy ... until I somehow got tangled in the parachute lines. Finally got untangled but broke both my wrists. That was my fifth and last jump.
2. I was fired from my job - special education teacher in a small rural school district - for talking about my skydiving escapade. Actually my contract was not renewed.
3. I worked my way through college in my 30's - took 7 years to achieve my BA; and only 5 years for my MA. All in education.
4. I've moved to a different house about every 10 years.
5. I have aunts and uncles that are about the same age as myself, both grandparents had second families the same time my parents were having children. It's been hard to know who's a cousin and who's an aunt or uncle.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 PM

1. I groomed dogs for several years. Loved it
2. I have clownafobia (scared of clowns) crazy huh?
3. Love to hunt and fish
4. Love to go camping
5. Wish I had started sewing long before I did (about 11 years ago)
Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 AM

I am an independent person and have lived in six different countries.
I can speak six different languages.
I grew up in a strict religious family and am now (as a consequence, I suspect) an atheist
I notice things about other people that no one else notices
I am totally in love with my children and wonder what will happen to me when they grow up and move away.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 AM

1. I am on an invalid pension due to all the hard work on farms in the area.
2. I am the third eldest of 6 children
3. I hate going outside in the heat as I feel the heat so bad.
4 I have 2 girls and 1 boy all grown and left home(thank goodness)Also have 3 grandchildren.
5 I have been married 40+ years and will be 60 in January 16th.2012

Last edited by Annya; 11-28-2011 at 01:31 AM.