Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 PM

That is darling! What a precious quilt. Great job!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Wow Lots of talented people on this board... Love to see everyone's work.... I really love the sunbonnet sues... That would make a beautiful baby quilt. Love your cat's too.... I have never embrodered with machine over my applique but I have added some by hand to enhance some areas. Would love to see some. Ksdot I saw a ribbon on the dog quilt. Did you win in a show? It is nice enough to! I'll show you my progress when I start my 12 days of Christmas.

Last edited by abonda; 11-27-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
i love to machine applique. I'm still working on the other techniques. I like the starch method but i need a lot of practice making the edges smooth.

Here's a picture of one of my raw edge applique quilts.
how cute is that!!!! Very
Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Re: embroidering your applique...question....

Depends on how you affix it. You could do your embroidery on a piece of fabric and then cut out your applique. If you affixed it via heat bond or wonderunder you'd probably end up breaking emb thread allot due to glue.
I've done decorative stitches within my appliques with just my sewing machine built in stitches. You can also use decorative stitches to affix your applique depending on what types you have on your sewing machine.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Do you use your decorative stitches to create an over all pattern similar to eyelet? I've tried that, but so few of my stitches seem to have the weight needed to show up against the fabric. They just don't make an impact. I only have a half dozen stitches to choose from that give the effect I want and I don't like to repeat them that often. It frustrates me. Have you purchased patterns to use in an all over pattern of stitches? I'm finding that if I embroider my fabric first, then cut out my pattern I can get a better result. Otherwise if I wait to embroider after the applique is assembled them I am essentially embroidering accents on it. Two different results and I am using both. I have found this is very time consuming. It's taking me a full day to complete one block.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 AM

All these quilts are sooooooo cute.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Do you use your decorative stitches to create an over all pattern similar to eyelet? I've tried that, but so few of my stitches seem to have the weight needed to show up against the fabric. They just don't make an impact. I only have a half dozen stitches to choose from that give the effect I want and I don't like to repeat them that often. It frustrates me. Have you purchased patterns to use in an all over pattern of stitches? I'm finding that if I embroider my fabric first, then cut out my pattern I can get a better result. Otherwise if I wait to embroider after the applique is assembled them I am essentially embroidering accents on it. Two different results and I am using both. I have found this is very time consuming. It's taking me a full day to complete one block.
Here's the quilt I entered last yr in Joann's quilting contest..."didn't win"...but all the decorative stitches and flowers are done with sewingmachine stitching...I have 0/100 diff ones on my Husq Viking SE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3732.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	291484   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3733.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	291485  
Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 AM

oh how lovely these quilts are.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 AM

How do we join the club? I love the buttonhole hand applique and have done lots and lots of that. I recently learned to master the machine applique also, but the hand applique with the raw edge and buttonhole stitch is my very favorite. Please tell us about joining the Applique Club.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post

I am learning to applique and thought this would be fun for all of us to chit chat here about applique. This way we can all learn together!
Could you please tell me how to post pictures for the applique club? I see that some have pictures of applique things. I have lots to share.