Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No Fabric Boycott Needed - Inform Yourself >

No Fabric Boycott Needed - Inform Yourself

No Fabric Boycott Needed - Inform Yourself

Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

It is most interesting that no where in this discussion has anyone said they wrote a protest letter to the fabric manufacturer. Perhaps I missed it. Just won't buy from the LQS.....That is not where the action should be taken.
And I have not read anywhere a statement from a manufacturer as to why such statements are on the fabric and what they mean. I believe the yell is to the wrong people. and....no where have I read a legal opinion other than the internet site mentioned.
I am hearing that the sit in's around the country are in front of the wrong places that they should be sitting in Washington. Is this issue also sitting at the wrong place?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
It is most interesting that no where in this discussion has anyone said they wrote a protest letter to the fabric manufacturer. Perhaps I missed it. Just won't buy from the LQS.....That is not where the action should be taken.
And I have not read anywhere a statement from a manufacturer as to why such statements are on the fabric and what they mean. I believe the yell is to the wrong people. and....no where have I read a legal opinion other than the internet site mentioned.
I am hearing that the sit in's around the country are in front of the wrong places that they should be sitting in Washington. Is this issue also sitting at the wrong place?
Excellent point, Holice!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 PM

This is one of many sites I located. Read carefully, then do your own research. This is a fairly recent judgement. There are many out there, all with the same references. We have no worries. Craft and quilt away, and sell from your little cottage industry. Don't do any more gripping without doing your own research. We have proven that we're safe. Now it is up to the disbelievers to prove that we are wrong.

http://ipmall.info/hosted_resources/...422_010611.pdf
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 AM

A copyright statement as defined in the US Copyright Act is using the symbol © along with the word "copyright" (or abbreviated "Copr."), the first year of publication of the work, and the name of the copyright owner. Nothing else. Any other statement by the copyright owner is irrelevant, extraneous, unenforceable and improper. So all the for personal use only isn't part of the statement.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 AM

I think that what's disturbing to me at this point is that the manufacturers are printing this on the selvage at all. It is an obvious attempt to discourage quilters/crafters from using the fabric in whatever manner we see fit, whether the statement has any legal teeth or not. That's why I believe the Holice is correct and we need to take this up with the manufacturers. I intend to write and ask why they have added that statement to a particular line of fabric and what they believe it means.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I think that what's disturbing to me at this point is that the manufacturers are printing this on the selvage at all. It is an obvious attempt to discourage quilters/crafters from using the fabric in whatever manner we see fit, whether the statement has any legal teeth or not. That's why I believe the Holice is correct and we need to take this up with the manufacturers. I intend to write and ask why they have added that statement to a particular line of fabric and what they believe it means.

I think I will join you and write a letter asking the same thing.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
Actually, it's not an attempt to discourage crafters...

It's a requirement by the licensor of the images that the fabric manufacturer print this on their fabrics. It's a limitation on who the manufacturer can sell the fabrics to. The manufacturer (and distributors) are not allowed to sell the licensed products into manufacturing situations.

Once it gets to the retail level, and thus to the crafter, the statements on the selvedge are no longer applicable.

Last edited by QKO; 12-02-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for posting!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
Actually, it's not an attempt to discourage crafters...

It's a requirement by the licensor of the images that the fabric manufacturer print this on their fabrics. It's a limitation on who the manufacturer can sell the fabrics to. The manufacturer (and distributors) are not allowed to sell the licensed products into manufacturing situations.

Once it gets to the retail level, and thus to the crafter, the statements on the selvedge are no longer applicable.
To me this makes no sense at all, since what is printed on the selvage cannot be enforced anyway. Any requirement on the manufacturer would have to be spelled out in a written contract between the licensor and the manufacturer, not written on the selvages. I think Holice is right and we don't have enough information regarding what the fabric manufacturer is trying to achieve with this notice (other than irritating all of us quilters, and that is definitely not in their best interests).

Edited to add - and I'm still not going to buy any fabric with any restrictions printed on it, just because I'm irritated by it! That's really the only control I have over the situation, and I plan to exercise it.

Last edited by dunster; 12-02-2011 at 01:00 PM.