Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM

I am a hand quilter also and love it as long as my fingers and hands can move around I will keep doing it.

I know there are more ladies going to machine quilting and it looks nice also. I have a room in our basement and I also have a radio and a tv down there to keep me company. One nice thing is I do not have to put anything away when I am done.(great)

eunice
Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM

hand quilting is the only way I quilt, I tried machine quilting and didn't particularly care for it, but will try again. Hand quilting is one way to keep me calm and sane!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM

can't afford a longarm so I still hand quilt. besides I still like the look of hand quilting best.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM

I hand quilt for hire, and I always have a waiting list, and people I do quilt for won't give out my name! One said that she doesn't want me to get too busy to do hers! There will always be hand quilting, it will just get more valuable.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM

My mother taught me to hand piece and hand quilt. I have machine pieced and quilted several quilts. I also took shorthand in buisiness college, I will never forget how to do that. I am hand piecing a GFG right now and I will also hand quilt this one.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 AM

So glad to hear that there are so many hand quilters still out there I have raynuards disease in my hands and have very little feeling in them - I do still embroider by hand and would love to learn to hand quilt. Not sure if I can do it though lol I am going to have to find somewhere to learn. Gosh, I could realy use some relaxation lol. How do you keep the backing and bating together if you dont use a frame??
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 AM

I would encourage anyone to at least try handquilting - it won't be to everyone's taste, but I love it!

As for keeping the sandwich together - lots of safety pins and/or tacking!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 AM

I don't think hand quilting will ever fade away completely. It is soooo relaxing to just sit and peacefully quilt while listening to music or watching tv. It is my way of escaping the fast pace life has taken on these days. Everyone has a special way to slow down and relax. This is mine! You would be surprised how many ideas you come up with when things get quiet and your fingers are busy sewing away. Many future quilts are planned this way. Hand quilting will never go out of style as far as I am concerned!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny View Post
So glad to hear that there are so many hand quilters still out there I have raynuards disease in my hands and have very little feeling in them - I do still embroider by hand and would love to learn to hand quilt. Not sure if I can do it though lol I am going to have to find somewhere to learn. Gosh, I could realy use some relaxation lol. How do you keep the backing and bating together if you dont use a frame??
I do not have a quilting frame and I have hand quilted several quilts. I knew no better and since the only place that was big enough to sandwich my quilts was on my bed, that is how I did it. Laid down the backing, then the batting and then the quilt top. Knelt down at foot of bed and began to pin with safety pins, the layers together, rolling it up as I went after it was pinned. Then I lay it out on the floor as it isall well pinned and put my lap frame in the center, lock it on and begin quilting. When I am ready to move to a new place, I spread it out on floor again, un-pop the frame, place it where I next want to quilt, remove the safety pins and start again. Works for me.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 AM

I love hand quilting - just finished 2 baby quilts and a military quilt for my son who is overseas currently - all hand quilted. I am in the process of hand quilting a king size quilt made up of pillowcases embroidered by 4 generations of our family both on my fathers and my mothers side. It will probably take me another year to get done because I work on the other quilts off and on. Love hand quilting, it is quiet time for me away from the high technology of the day.