Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 AM

I love hand quilting. I do most of my medium to small quilts by hand . I am working on a hand quilted stencil from Amish countr y in Ohio right now. I admire people who do piecing by hand too. But, its too slow for me.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 AM

I am a hand quilter but developed my own version of 'shorthand' though sometimes i forget my symbols lol....i like hand quilting although it is so slow and i like things to move along quick...i am trying to learn machine quilting but i am so terrible i always go back to hand quilting
Old 12-03-2011, 01:58 PM

I use to hand quilt and then tried FMQ which I love. I have to use a hoop to hand quilt and it seems to be in everyone's way all the time. I never learned to "rock" the needle but it still looked nice when I finished. In fact, the last quilt I did by hand was the one I gave to my sister-in-law.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM

I am so glad that so many of you are still hand quilting!! As for me, I do not find it relaxing. It strains my neck and shoulders, and it's too time-consuming. There are so many quilt tops I want to piece, I just don't want to take the time to hand-quilt them all!! If I didn't have a longarm machine, I would send them out to be quilted.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I really enjoy hand quilting and I find machine quilting so frustrating. I think that for me hand quilting is the best solution.

I love choosing the quilting stencils.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Hello. Am new to this website & relatively new to quilting. I have pieced & hand quilted 5 of the seven quilts that I have made in the 14 months that I've been quilting. I learned to machine quilt (on my sewing machine) just to see if I could. Did not enjoy. Made a kind-sized bedspread for our bed that I hired done on a long arm. T'was way too heavy to hand quilt. I really enjoy hand quilting; tis very therapeutic. It saves my sanity while my sweet husband plays with the remote control of tv.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM

It doesn't hurt to know how to hand quilt even if you prefer to use the latest technology. I am just finishing up one I hand quilted and I don't think I want to do it again. I am also just learning how to do free motion quilting and loving it. But I am using a 1950's Singer 301A to do it :-)
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM

I was happy to hear that there are some many hand quilters out there. I have tried many times to machine stitch, but it never turns out as nicely as my hand quilting. My largest project was a king size quilt. I find it very relaxing, especially after a day at work. The Linus quilts or quilts for comfort all have to be machine quilted, and I feel I am not putting as much into them. All my quilts are machine washed, many times and my stitching is still intact. I feel I put a lot of love into each quilt I make - no matter who it is for. Thank you for keeping up the tradition!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:00 PM

I've been hand quilting for about 35 years. I love hand embroidery also. My husband seemed to think I need a new sewing machine...so I now have a Bernina 440 QEE. Seems a waste not to use it for what it was intended, so I'm learning. I don't think he realized how much more time I'll spend in the sewing room instead of in the same room with him while doing my handwork
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM

I'm relatively new at quilting (3 years, working on my third quilt). My present quilt is 85 x 85 and I find it so big and heavy and sometimes the hand quilting does not go through to the back. I do find it relaxing to hand quilt but it is so time consuming. I have done machine quilting but it is very difficult to get this big quilt into such a small space to machine sew. I'll keep trying but just curious how long does it take you to hand quilt a queen size quilt? Thanks.
Jackie