Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Okay - I ordered the book. Don't know if I'll be able to keep up with this one, but sure would like to give it a try. Just have to see how it goes!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:23 AM

Hi there itwrx4me. Once you have the book you will see it's not as difficult as it looks. Watch the video also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YAGKyHp0s

There's a few of us that keep an eye on this thread so if you have any questions I am sure we can help.

jtquilts - shame about the spelling I have been sidetracked also with baby toys I need to get done and a twister tree. I saw the Christmas tree table napkins also and thought they looked cute but I'll be pushed to get everything done as it is. Just when I think I have some free time coming up, lunch plans, work Christmas party and various other things take up my time instead. It's enjoyable, but I'm running short on time. Then today I woke at 6 a.m. to no power and it didn't come on until 6 p.m. I got a lot done in the garden, but that wasn't what I needed to be doing.

Oh well, I can just do my best.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 AM

I just finished putting another row together of my PH project. I love working with batiks. . . .they stitch together so well. I am working on some hexies now, too, and the batiks are soooo fun to work with.

You certainly didn't need to power out in the midst of Christmas countdown!

I am on my countdown for a Tea Party this Thurs. Today is vaccuming the walls . . . . we live in a log home with rounded inside walls. We have a woodburning stove and to help with circulating the heat we run ceiling fans. They get vaccumed today, too.

Itwrx4me, hello, and welcome to our little corner of the quilting board! I didn't start with the origional group last Jan. I started my project sometime in the late spring or early summer. I got 15 blocks completed and called it enough. I did enjoy the blocks but I like smaller projects. I hope you give it a try!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM

jt - a log home isn't something we see over here. It sounds romantic and conjures up visions of trees and mountains for me. You are welcome to come and run the vac around my house while you are at it. Is the tea party at your home or elsewhere?

I am still going on my toys and twister tree. Unfortunately we are in our busy season at work so I am putting in extra hours there. I have our work Christmas party next week and a "street" party also but have already caught up with a few friends for lunch. I need to have holidays BEFORE Christmas so I can get everything done.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 AM

I love all things 'twister'. I would love to see your tree. I like them and the wreath. I also saw a link to a spiraling twister.

I had time today before the tea party to stitch the last row of the center of my PH blocks. I laid it out for my DH to help audition fabrics for the next step. Our favorite LQS is reopening the 9th of Jan. so I will go down then and look for a black to be my final border. I plan to use the same orange that I used for the stars as a 3/4" frame then the black. In the picture you can see the label but, not close enough to see the boo-boo! Oops! you can see the boo-boo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PH progress 005.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	295549   Click image for larger version

Name:	PH progress 008.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	295550  

Last edited by jtquilts; 12-15-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 AM

I'm waiting on the book to arrive - hopefully either today or tomorrow. Then I have to think about the fabrics - that could be another whole issue with me! LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM

I remember waiting for my book to come! I still sit down and ohh and ahh over the settings. Are you choosing fabrics from your stash or buying them specificly for this project? So far all of the fabrics I have used were from my stash. I will go buy some black for the outer border.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM

I really love the look of the blocks in the stars Judith but I wanted to have a smaller quilt to hang on the wall so decided not to do them. Yours is coming together beautifully. I haven't gotten any more of mine done yet.

Also haven't finished the twister wreath (changed my mind from the tree) but hoping to get some of it done today. I have it pieced, recut and ready to sew together. I'm not working today but do have shopping and "stuff" to get done at home.

Itwrx4me - I saw a Jinny Beyer border fabric that I loved and bought it and a couple of the co-ordinates and the rest came from my stash.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 AM

The tea party was very good. I had invited several ladies who had not met the others and we all sat together and had one conversation about how everyone found their way to Idaho. No one took over the conversation . . . . it was such a good day.

Today I am going out shopping for the last time. I hope to get my last box in the mail today.

I hope you are able to relax enough and enjoy the 'busyness'. I still would love to see your twister project whatever it is!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:13 AM

Glad you had a good day. We went shopping also, hoping it would be the last time. We shall see.

I will certainly post a pic of my twister when it is done.