Acceptable or tacky?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have started reading the book and when I done I'll give it back to her and say I'm finished reading the book, you may know someone that didn't get a chance to read it before you gave it to me. Yeah, I'm that type of person! LOL
I'm evil enough to replace "I'm finished reading THE book" with I'm finished reading YOUR book".

LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM

It appears her mistake was telling you members of her family read it. Perhaps not her crowning moment. Well you did receive a gift even if it was used. If other members of her family all read it then it comes with good reviews. I'd rather receive a book I look forward to reading than some useless dollar store item. If this book was difficult to obtain, or a limited edition we wouldn't be having this conversation. Please do tell what is the title of the book?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM

oooh, very tacky, not acceptable at all!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

There are always sad circumstances that touches the heart.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Proper ettiquite should have dictated that she give it to you without reading it first....would have been better for her to request a chance to read it once you have had a chance.....but not everyone has has etiquette classes!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Location: I live in the Bay Area, Walnut Creek, California--high population quilt designers, fabric designers,

For a book, I have no problem with that, what did it hurt? Maybe some gifts are different, look at it this way, better than a unwanted unusable gift? I think it depends on the gift.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Yeah...tacky is the word. I would let it slide. Gotta feel sorry for people who think like that. BTW, what was the name of the book?....lol
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Tacky
Lack of respect
Selfish
A gift used is just not special. And to add, even though we hear re-gifting is perfectly OK, I don't care for that either.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 AM

I am not so sure if this was tacky vs. being "cheap". I have a "friend" who gives the weirdest gifts to me to the point I have to just laugh about it. One year she gave me one of those holiday popcorn tins filled with various flavored popcorn. She then asked me if SHE could keep the tin for herself because she really liked it. I was stunned and just emptied the various popcorn into tupperware and handed it back to her. WTH??? it was only $5 item at that time...I should have just given the whole darn thing back to her and thanked her. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of sharing this "gift" story with others who don't know her. My bad.

For my wedding gift, she gave me a "gift basket" of hotel coffees and teas (yes, from the room!) and also some expired crackers,etc that she did not want. I assume that she had recieved them for a gift at one time. She is a vegetarian. THAT is another story in itself!! Again, I have to laugh at this. She is not a good "gift giver" and I have to just accept it. I am learning to just not put much effort into my gifts to her. Frankly, we could forget about it but she does not have many friends and I frankly feel sorry for her.

Fortunately, she lives 400 miles from me and I don't have to socialize with her except the once a year trip around Christmas when she is on her way to visit her family.

I would have loved to have recieved a book....used or otherwise! I love to read.

I also don't have an issue with "regifting" as long as the gift is unused and looks new. How would I know then?

sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 12-12-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 AM

Bella Boo......Why can't you be MY secret pal??? LOL!! You are the exceptiong and not the norm in the "gift exchange" world. You obviously enjoy doing this and I would bet that you are a wonderful and gracious hostess! Some people have the knack!

Perhaps we should start a thread on wedding gifts! I would bet that there are hundreds of hilarious wedding gift stories to share! What I learned from getting wedding gifts was that I spend WAY too much on what I give! I no longer feel bad about scaling back on the amount that I spend on them. It was an awakening!!

sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 12-12-2011 at 04:28 AM.