Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for quilts? >

Sheets for quilts?

Sheets for quilts?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM

I use them, am always looking for the Muslim sheets like Pennys used to sell, from time to time I find them on Ebay still in the original packages.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM

I use Walmart 200 count sheets a lot of the time for backing. They are inexpensive, hand quilt beautifully and are very durable. I also use the trimmed off ends for pieces in scrap quilts and they work just fine. Being on a fixed income, some of the criteria for my quilts are to be as inexpensive as possible as well as durable and pretty when finished. Never had any of the recipients complain about the fabric that I chose for their gift.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM

I do not use sheets because I like for the back of my quilt to coordinate with the fabric used in piecing the front.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM

A flannel sheet could be substituted for batting. This was a technique used by my Grandmother in her day. Be sure that you match cotton to cotton and polyester to polyester to avoid shrinking. Grandma also made sure she cut off the selvages but kept the grain in line with the quilt from top to bottom (head to toe).
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM

I see that there are lots of people trading the old soft pretty flowered sheets that they find in thrift stores. I thought that wasn't such a good idea because I wondered how they would wear. However, the quilts they make are really pretty, soft colors, etc. and I'll bet they will be around as long as most of us if they are properly cared for. I never had any problems with sheets for backing as long as they were cotton sheets and a lower thread count. I have hand quilted and tied them both and I don't know that they were any more difficult to sew through than regular cotton fabric. I do think a mixed fabric blend might be more difficult.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 AM

I've got a quilt I'm working on and I am using a sheet in it. It's a Ralph Lauren 100% cotton sheet that I bought some time ago. I actually bought 2 of them - both king flats. I am using it as backing fabric and I have made some of the quilt blocks out of it too. It sews really nice as far as the quilt blocks go. I have not tried any quilting yet but I don't expect any problems. It was just too good of a match to my other fabrics to pass up. It's not a solid color. It's a navy blue and white check.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 AM

ive never used for "quilting" most of the things i make r more considered blankets as i knot vs quilt & they work GREAT...... they r inexpensive & for beds there is no piecing together large pieces of fabric, its great i love it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 AM

I use sheets all the time for the backing of my quilts. They seem thicker and seem to last a long time without wearing out. I don't like piecing my quilt backs and I can get sheets to fit my quilts very nice. I will continue to use sheets for backings of my quilts. I also hand quilt my quilts and i have found no problem with using shseets.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 AM

Use them sometimes for backing.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 AM

i use sheets for the backing all the time and i hand quilt