Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long will our quilts last?? >

How long will our quilts last??

How long will our quilts last??

Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned

I honestly do believe that...first, the cotton..it is NOT grown the same..they use so many chemicals on that cotton just to grow/harvest it, it is amazing..nothing natural there at all...then there is the chemicals use to CLEAN the cotton, chemicals used to break it down before ginning, the list goes on...with finally the chemicals used on the fabric to get back into the USA....and then there are our detergents...quilts were NEVER washed in the OLD days..they were beaten and hung out to air....spot cleaned, but never washed like we do today... I believe that some are making quilts that will last 100 years...they take the time to LEARN about the fabric, the thread, the correct ways to handle both and use their knowledge to make the BEST quilt possible. There is a difference in a utility quilt and an heirloom quilt...we all make different choices when it comes to what we make!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM

I wonder how much the difference in how we sew them makes? For instance we used to start and stop with back stitches and we would "lock" the stitches. Now we sew continuous strips of fabric cutting them apart in various areas and don't "lock" the stitches. Could that account for some of the problems?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM

There are so many variables here: fabric content, fabric quality, construction, well loved, storage, the list goes on. If they last a 100 years, great; if they fall apart tomorrow, we get to make more. I do have 3 that my mother made in the early 70's, made from double knit fabric. Those quilts are still as bright and beautiful as they were the day she made them and they have been through 3 kids , 2 grandkids and now 3 greatgrand kids.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Interesting topic. I guess those of us interested in creating heirlooms or long lasting quilts might make different choices. Others who don't care about longevity would make other choices (or maybe the same but not worry about it)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I only care that my quilts last as long as I do. I use what fabrics I have and pay what I want to for them, I am not interested in how long they may last. If no top sheet is used between the quilt and body and if washed every week, I doubt even the pricey fabrics will last very long. It the "old" times quilts were only washed once a year at the most, made them last longer.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

A lot of the antique quilts were used only on special occasions and stored away most of the time. I want my quilts to be used and abused with love. I would like my children to be able to have a quilt when I am gone for a memory of me but beyond that, mine are not masterpieces.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM

The ones my Mother made in the 60's and 70's are coming apart. It is more the thread she used than the fabric. The thread is breaking and everything is coming apart.At least I can repair that.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM

My personal experiences. My great-grandmother's final 2 quilts lasted for 50 years only because nobody used them and they were stored in a closet. They deteriorated fairly fast once we encouraged my great-aunt to use them in her last 8 years. Fabric ages, whether well kept or not and once you give light exposure to it, it goes much faster.

The tied quilts my Mom made in the 70s lasted about 10 years of being washed and dried in the dryer two to three times a year. The embroidered quilt she made between 1955 and 1957 is in PERFECT condition. It's never been used and been stored in a closet all this time (I'm trying to convince her to use her quilt NOW).

Honestly, I don't think the cotton quality is less (the stuff sold in quilt shops is far better cotton than most women used in the 30s), but the coloring chemicals have changed. Some were changed due to cancer causing agents, some due to level of pollution. I don't think any are the same as what were used back in the 30s.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM

I have alot of old quilts made by DH grandmother probably pre and post war era. Maybe even during the depression. I discovered that one of the quilts batting has disintegrated. Its still together though. the two wool ones I keep in the cedar chest.
They should last a long time. I think our machines are not as hard on quilts as the old wringer ones. DH's mother remembers washing them on the scrub board....so that tells you how old some of the quilts are that was handed down to us!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:57 PM

I think a worn and tattered quilt that is much loved is a testament to the recipient as well as the giver. Long ago I read and re read the Velveteen Rabbit to my kids and my grandkids. I would prefer my quilts are loved and used, maybe a gift should be 2 quilts, one to love and use, and one to put away for future generations.
Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I make quilts for people to love and stay warm. My Granny did the same. If you love a quilt like a kid does it won't last a 100 years but in it's life time it was well loved. I have quilts I havent used that are 30 years old. But bless their hearts they may feel unloved. Actully I love them so very much my Granny made them for me. They are taken out and aired and laid flat for a week and put back up, in that week I get to really enjoy them.