Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tension problem >

tension problem

tension problem

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Angry tension problem

I am having a terrible time with the tension and thread on my machine. I have tried everything, read the book that came with the machine adjusted and readjusted the settings. The bottom thread is bunching up now. Before the top thread was gathering. Getting very frustrated! I have christmas presents I am trying to finish. Thanks for letting me vent and if you have any tips it would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM

1. BREATHE

First re-thread both the top and the bobbin threads to make sure everything is right.

Are you using the same thread in both the top and the bottom? In most cases it's best to match the thread in both.

2. If you have changed your bobbin tension, start by adjusting that so that when the bobbin and case together are picked up by the thread, the thread will just ALMOST feed itself out. Mine works best if I can just barely pick it up without the thread feeding out.

3. Once that is correct, rethread the top and start testing/adjusting until the top and bottom tensions are "balanced".

Sounds simple, but sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling around to get it just right. And, expect to adjust it when you change types of thread.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

The only thing I can think of is to change your thread. Then start at the loose tension settings for the top and bottom threads and gradually increase them one at a time until you get them in a good setting again. Make sure that you thread the top with the presser foot up (no tension) and make sure the foot is down each time you try it (tension engaged) It is really frustrating when the tension is acting up, hang in there!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM

all the tips azwendg gave you are perfect, set the bobbin first (after making sure the bobbin is going clockwise (90% of machines...but check your book)... the drop test is the perfect thing... it should slowly move downward with no more than a tiny encouragement of jiggling the thread just a tiny bit... now how to decide if it is balanced? take threads out from under the foot. put foot down. pull both threads till they are the same length, clipping to make sure...they must be relaxed. now pull both threads together and then release. if one of them curls madly and is now way longer, (usually the top) then adjust till they are closer to the same length. now sew and see if the top thread and bottom thread appear on the opposite sides in the same size. different colored thread to the fabric scrap helps to see better. just persist. it will work if both threads are threaded correctly... it just takes a bit of fiddling. people get the threading wrong all the time, be sure to check...

Last edited by deemail; 12-13-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Is this a new machine or one that has been used a lot? If it has been used a lot, have you cleaned it thoroughly? A small piece of lint caught in the upper tension knob can cause lots of problems, as can lint buildup around the feed dogs. For the upper tension, it's a good idea to get a piece of *unwaxed* dental floss and "floss" between the tension discs (with tension on the lowest setting). That is likely to dislodge any lint. Cleaning the bobbin area depends on your machine. For the feed dogs, usually you have to unscrew the plate in order to see any built-up lint around the feed dogs.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Sometimes it helps to bring the bottom thread up to the top (needle down, needle up) and hang onto them when you start to sew.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Remember the tension is out of wack opposite where the problem is so if bottom bad, adjust top, top bad adjust bottom. You may need to visit the deal to get it straightened out.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

All of the other advice you have gotten is just wonderful. The only thing I will add is to WRITE THINGS DOWN. I took a serger class (actually several) last year and the one thing the instructor harped on was to write down all of your settings for each given fabric/technique. Granted, this was for a serger where sometimes it's a bit more finiky (sp) but I think it's an excellent suggestion for basic sewing as well. When you find the settings that work for your piecing; mq'ing; binding, etc., write down what fabrics/battings you used along with the settings that ultimately worked. I think it would probably save all of us a tremendous amount of time in the long run!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM

I had a tension problem and tried several things. Finally took it to the Janome dealer who fixed it right then. A tiny screw in the bobbin area was too loose. He only charged me $15 to fix it.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
All of the other advice you have gotten is just wonderful. The only thing I will add is to WRITE THINGS DOWN. I took a serger class (actually several) last year and the one thing the instructor harped on was to write down all of your settings for each given fabric/technique. Granted, this was for a serger where sometimes it's a bit more finiky (sp) but I think it's an excellent suggestion for basic sewing as well. When you find the settings that work for your piecing; mq'ing; binding, etc., write down what fabrics/battings you used along with the settings that ultimately worked. I think it would probably save all of us a tremendous amount of time in the long run!
Great advice - my Janome has temperamental tension, and now I have a notebook in which I write down the settings that work for different combinations of fabric, thread and batting. It saves me a lot of time and tears.