Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim) >

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Wow! The Taboo Tuesday hits home as I wanted to make something as soon as I could stand.

New Christmas traditions - one tradition I had when the children were small that I'd like to do again with just my hubby - on Sunday night plan a snack, we did hot chocolate and simple Christmas cookies, make it festive, then take out the Bible and read parts of the Christmas story. This way on Christmas Day you can read the whole Christmas story aloud and celebrate a new way. We opened one small gift with our hot chocolate, usually a hand-made ornament or book.
I don't think I'm explaining this well but it made Christmas more about the scriptures and less about Santa.

Start making ornaments together. Buy a kit and make hubby help. My dh has surprised me as he has now learned loom weaving for potholders and he really enjoys it. I told him he had to MAKE me a Christmas present.

Change your tradition to ONLY HOMEMADE Christmas presents. Then get creative with coupon books for massages, etc. Or make a memory book. All homemade presents don't have to be quilts, we just prefer to make them.

Murphy1- I adore biscotti. I've made it once or twice. Is a wonderful treat.

I've called Missy's number 4 times now, no response and no voice mail. I don't have Xylie's. Has anyone PM'd them?

Tomorrow I see the lung doc, gotta breathe before I can walk. Hugs to all. MJ
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Not eating many Christmas cookies is a good taboo for me. I don't eat too many cookies but I LOVE LOVE the dough. I was going to bake this weekend. Not good for me. I was up 2 pounds last week, I expected to be up a little but not that much. I have been really busy the past few weeks. I need to get to all my doctors before the end of the year since we have met out deductible for the year and I can go now for free. I am getting my planter faciatis (feet) worked on at the chiropractor and have finally had my knee looked at. It has been bothering me off and on for years(15?). I have a torn meniscus and osteoarthritis. He wanted to operate on it but I got a cortisone shot and have been getting Synovist shots. I is better, I got the third shot yesterday. NOt 100% but I can work with it for a while. It will eventually need to be replaced. We are doing biggest loser at work and do aerobic exercise on Tuesday and pillates on Thursday. My muscles are sore. Any weight loss will help my knees.
Good luck to everyone. Stay out of the cookies and not too many goodies.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM

MJ I like what you suggested. A few years ago I started a tradition of someone making something homemade for a family member, The next year that person had to make something for someone else. It went well for a few years but my SIL broke the chain. Now I just ask that anyone makes anything they want if they want to. I try to have at least a few homemade things. This year I made my girls grocery totes with matching coupon holders & tissue holders. As the ecomomy gets worse our gifts get fewer. I hope to see more thought & love go into the gifts than money.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM

I'll start my baking on Thursday. I will chew gum while I bake & freeze most of it right away. That way I can pull out fresh cookies as needed. Maybe if we eat pickles while we bake we wouldn't snack, lol!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM

Well hello everybody.Hope you've all been good while I been away.I haven't been good.At all.I'm at 170.As I am still bunged up from my accident a month ago.I can't sit long or I hurt.My rt hip was a solid black mass all the way down my leg to my knee.I didn't break anything,but just as well have from the pain I been in.So that's why I haven't been on.If I even look at my side it throbs.Boy,I won't ever do that again.If it continues,my dr. said to let him know,I hope I didn't fracture anything.But I can walk alright,I just can't bump it or it feels like it's on fire.Ok,so anyway I am working on getting back down to my 160 where I been since last spring.I got some spirutein and am going on it to get me back down there.Any challenges this month?Heck I'd even do irishroses 2 pounder now.And nancia,I hope you post (if you haven't already) some new pictures of our baby.I haven't seen Olivia in awhile now.I was thinking about you all the last few days.I've missed you.So will start checking in a bit more often.I'll take a pain pill before I sit down so we can visit and catch up.Other than that,I'm doing fine.(just still 10 pounds heavier)UGGH!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 PM

i am not liking dec. all the christmas parties and cookies etc. are hard to resist. Sure hope everyone is doing better than I at resisting. 3 parites this week..ugh
susan...
Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 AM

Xylie - good to hear from you. Sorry you are still having problems from your fall last month. I have kept you in my prayers.

MJ - more prayers going up for you lung doc visit. yes you have to breath to be able to walk.

I have to make more cookies for my son when he comes in town on Friday. Don't think I will be able to stay away from them. These are my favorites. I will do my best not eat any. Almond Spritz cookies.

I like the idea of homemade gifts. I may have to present that to the family and see what they think. 2 more days and my son and DIL will be here. I can't wait.

gonna try and get some more sleep before I have to go to pulmonary rehab. I am almost ready to go back to work.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM

Morning everyone.

So many posts to catch up on. I didn't take nots so won't get everyone. Great taboo for this week. I've been tempted by those fat frosted wonders for weeks now I can tell myself that I just can't do it. Hope it works.

Nancia I love the way you broke down a pounde, even I should be able to lose 4 oz.

Xylie, welcome back, sorry to hear that your still having problems with your injuries. Just take it easy and they will get better. My prayers are with you.

Cindy glad to hear rehab is going well.

MJ My prayer are with you when you go to the doctor.

I can't remember who else did what but congrats on passing the nursing aid test and the job. As Tiny Tim said and God Bless you everyone.

We are way behind on Christmas here. Everything is different here since my and hubbys parents passed away. I think it will just be GS and his girlfriend and his other grandma for a late dinner on Christmas day. The rest of the family has scattered and has their own traditions now.

Will try to keep up better on this thread, weight isn't going well so I really need the support. Sorry that I'm not good at keeping up on everybody.

Have a wonderful day. One Day At a Time.

Jeanne
Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 AM
mim

Today I'm making cranberry nut bread to take on Sunday up to DIL. She will be going to Denver for Christmas to her son and new DIL.

I'm going to make mini-loaves to give to the people who live here in the condo. We see them occasionally but never get to say hello -- so this may be a way to be friendly.

2 days ago I ate sour cream and onion potatoe chips (my all time weakness) with lunch and in the evening Naturally I kept every ounce -- So yesterday when we went to lunch with friends we chose Olive garden and had soup and salad. I just love the dressing they put on their tossed salad. And they keep it coming.

I hope the salad offset the chips LOL
Mim
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM

Hi all! Well this month is half way over and I am maintaining. Yeah for me but you know I can hear all of those dang christmas cookies yelling my name from the freezer! What A horrible bunch they are! oh well they can yell all they want but I will be strong until christmas eve when I will put them out and I hope my family eats them all and put me out of my misery!
Hope everyone is doing well.
Lisa