Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What about muslin? >

What about muslin?

What about muslin?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 AM

When I did my 1st string blocks, I was told I could use old sheets. I came to my dad's house; mother had saved every sheet they ever used. I used several of the sheets; they did wonderful! I was sad to lose them in the fire we had last year. Now, I use a mid-range muslin. I don't wash first; haven't had any problems. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I'm one of those that would never use dryer sheets because of the inherent perfumes, chemicals, etc. doesn't matter if they've been used, I'm not comfortable handing that issue off to anyone in a finished quilt. Not with the allergies and sensitivities, asthma etc. that are common today. You can get fairly inexpensive muslin anywhere. It doesn't have to be high grade because it's being used as a foundation base.
I would never use dryer sheets!!! not even in the dryer!! (they have known to cause fires) so full of chemicals.
Muslin is cheap, if using for backing or your main fabric in the quilt I would buy better quality , but, for foundation go cheap.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Actually, if you keep all the paper on until the top is completely finished you have NO problem with bias edges and waves. The problem is people remove the paper too soon. It should remain on until the top is finished.
I agree with this comment . I have used fabric cut every which way for string quilts, and have not had any issues with it . Once ALL the seams are sewn , this stablizes the bias . I also starch my fabrics , which helps alot!
If this was true( an absolute rule) any quilt with triangles would never lie flat. It all how you work with bias.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Muslin was one of the first fabrics used for quilts. I would only buy in person, so I could feel it, some are very thin and cheesy feeling, others are very high quality. Prices are according to quality.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Well I for one have only used old sheets, they are cheap and easy to find at goodwill or even your own when worn.
So this is all I have to offer, they worked fine and quilted on the LA just fine also.No problems and the price was right.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM

My quilt guild has a stash of fabric that was donated and someone sent a bolt of a very light green flimsy fabric.....100% cotton but not something you would use in the quilt top. We cut it up into 2 yard pieces, washed and pressed it and sliced it up to use as the foundation in scrappy strip quilts. It worked beautifully. If it had been one or two shades darker, we probably couldn't have used it.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

For foundation piecing, I think an inexpensive muslin would be just fine. Save the more expensive if you are using as a background fabric.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 AM
Pds

I don't want to start a debate here, but only give another opinion. I like Sandee use "already used" dryer sheets. Once the quilt has been washed, I honestly do not smell any scent at all and have seen no problems with "chemicals". I made a larger queen for my grandson who is asthmatic (as am I) and he has never had a problem sleeping under it. It may have something to do with the brand (?), but like everything else in quilting (and life) certainly there are exceptions to the rule (both pro and con). I would make a little quilt sandwich first if you are concerned and then wash it and see what happens, but don't totally discount using the sheets without doing a little more investigation. It just seems like a way to use what we have and clog the enviornment with for a good purpose---like using telephone book pages as foundations.

Just my thoughts----again not intented to begin any kind of debate.

Happy quilting!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 AM

This is the only time I use muslin in my quilting, works great as a foundation. Cheaper grades can be used.
I would never use dryer sheets. Too smelly, everyone has allergies, especially me.
Enjoy making your string diamond quilt.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 AM

As a hand quilter, I always think, what will make it easiest to quilt? If you are considering hand quilting it, I would use paper. (I like the phone book idea.) The more bulk you can remove before quilting, the nicer your stitches will be and your fingers will thank you too! If you are machine quilting, I would go with thin fabric. It will save you tons of time since you won't have to remove all that paper. Have fun on the project!