Spelling

Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 AM

I was not being intolerant. I simply could not figure out the message and I had clicked on it because it was something I was interested in. Another member suggested replying and asking for clarification. I honestly had not thought of that, but will do so in the future.
Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I'm so sorry for those of us who can't tolerate when people make mistakes in spelling and grammar. I for one use the Google tool bar spell checker. But not everone speaks English and I for one speak HillBilly. I don't have a grammar checker, sorry about that. Please learn to be more Tolerate in 2012. This will be my prayer for the board.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 AM

who cares how things are spelled, I just want to share with all of you
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM

I agree that most do as well as possible. Spell checkers do weird things, for instance my friends the "Fribergs" always was corrected to :fireplug. LOL I don't think you can do a spell check on the board, can you? Although, if you are worried about the spelling you could type it up in a word document do spell check or even grammar check and then cut and paste it here.
Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
How do you use the spell checker with this board? I often think of not posting because of my spelling and grammar issues. I have had to leave other sites because of hurtful things said about my grammar / punctuation. As someone mentioned above there may be several reasons why a person has difficulty. I know for some it may be a nails on a chalk board thing to see poor spelling and grammer but seriously I think for the most part people do the best they can.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 AM

It is so easy to make a mistake in writing, I simply ignore them all, and I am an English teacher. My favorite mistake is one I saw on a college freshman's final exam. He meant to write stripped bare, meaning everything had been taken away...but he wrote striped bear. My graduate assistant circled it and drew a picture of a bear with stripes. .....You know what, I suddenly can't remember if stripped or striped means having stripes, now that IS funny!! ...but it doesn't matter, surely you can get a chuckle out of this, either way.

Dina
Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM

If I can figure out what they are attempting to communicate, I don't worry about it. If this was the business world then i'd worry, it's not so why?

I don't know if you were being judgemental or just confused by what was being said. But I like what they said about asking the person for clarification.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi everybody,

I have been member since July 2011 and I really enjoy this board. I am from Europe and English is not my first langauge.
I must admit I have not been active writing here and the main reason is that it takes extra efford to do so.
Google translator or similar programs are not an option, they simply do not work good enough. Spellchecker works somewhat better, but again - it would take ages before I could hit send the message.

When I started here on the board I read so many words/abbreviations I had never heard about before. It took me some search to find the "translation". What do you think you find in the dictionary when you search for LQS or DGS?
Anyway I have learned many new "quilting" words and I am greatful to all of you for that.

I will continue enjoying this board and you have to "enjoy" my English :-)

Have a great day!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM

It has been proven that when proofing a message the writer will sometimes read what they wanted to say instead of proofing what if typed. I know some times after I have posted and read my messages I find a few oops but I know everyone will get the general idea of the message. Keep on posting!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 AM

When I am typing a post/reply and misspell a word, it will be underlined in red. It gives me a chance to fix it when I proof read before sending.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I'm so sorry for those of us who can't tolerate when people make mistakes in spelling and grammar. I for one use the Google tool bar spell checker. But not everone speaks English and I for one speak HillBilly. I don't have a grammar checker, sorry about that. Please learn to be more Tolerate in 2012. This will be my prayer for the board.
I LOVE it "I speak hillbilly!" I do too and it makes some nuts, I have even had patients not want me as their nurse because I "sound dumb" Little do they know I run the code blues at night till a doc arrives which sometimes can be quite some time cause they don't stay at the hospital at night. LOL. I used to try hard to whacth how I spoke when a boss told me my poor grammer would never let me advance at work, well it was nearly impossible to correct my speech nor do I have the desire to any longer. I would like to see that boss now and let her know just how far I have indeed advanced in my career lol! Hillbilly to the bone and all!

PS; I went to your website I absolutly love the tree quilt, is that your design? I love trees.

Last edited by raedar63; 12-15-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM

I apologize for all past and future mistakes of misspelled words something I try very hard to correct. I am dyslexic and sometimes my fingers and brain don't get along correctly. It gets harder as I get older and takes me longer to type.